Author Topic: Intimidating Letters from Television Licensing  (Read 13054 times)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Intimidating Letters from Television Licensing
« on: September 06, 2007, 01:13:57 PM »
This guy has been collecting the letters he is sent from Television Licensing and displaying them on his website, along with some funny comments. It's interesting reading:

http://www.bbctvlicence.com/2006%20letters.htm

http://www.bbctvlicence.com/

Offline The Peepmaster

Re: Intimidating Letters from Television Licensing
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 12:46:42 AM »
Why doesn't someone prosecute them for harassment?
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 08:23:28 AM »
You can send them a letter telling them not to harass you, and that stops the letters. You can also withdraw from their employees the implied consent to approach your door, and that stops the visits. It then becomes difficult for television licensing to gain any evidence that you are watching television without a licence, and so they cannot apply for a search warrant either. It's not illegal to ignore them completely. It's also not illegal to own a television without a licence if you only watch DVDs or play games. The television detector vans have never been used to prosecute anyone. (Television licensing rely on intimidation and on people thinking they have to confess to "enforcement officers".) And the workings and calibrations of the hand-held detectors have never been disclosed so they cannot be used as evidence in a court anyway.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 08:59:19 AM »
You can send them a letter telling them not to harass you, and that stops the letters. You can also withdraw from their employees the implied consent to approach your door, and that stops the visits. It then becomes difficult for television licensing to gain any evidence that you are watching television without a licence, and so they cannot apply for a search warrant either. It's not illegal to ignore them completely. It's also not illegal to own a television without a licence if you only watch DVDs or play games. The television detector vans have never been used to prosecute anyone. (Television licensing rely on intimidation and on people thinking they have to confess to "enforcement officers".) And the workings and calibrations of the hand-held detectors have never been disclosed so they cannot be used as evidence in a court anyway.

There ought to be a website about this.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 09:01:38 AM »

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 09:30:26 AM »
Why don't you just pay the bloomin' thing? Wimbledon and Match Of The Day don't come cheap, you know.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 09:34:12 AM »
Why don't you just pay the bloomin' thing? Wimbledon and Match Of The Day don't come cheap, you know.

They do when you don't buy a television licence.

Besides, it's less fun that way.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 09:35:11 AM »
I was reading the bit about Johnathan Miller. He used to write about his campaign in the Sunday Times a few years ago. It all seems to have gone quiet after 2003...

I do pay my licence, Tarks, but I feel uncomfortable with the BBC's assumption of guilt if you haven't got a telly. Imagine if you stopped having a tv but they continued to threaten you and intimidate you.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 09:41:44 AM »
They have been known to send letters even when you have a licence. Their salesmen (sorry, "Enforcement Officers") do not undergo criminal checks and yet they expect you to let them into your home. (You don't have to, of course.) Because most of their convictions come from confessions and because their salesmen are paid bonuses for convictions, they tend to prey on the single parents and the elderly, and tend to use underhand tactics, intimidation, and sometimes even criminal behaviour to get their bonuses.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 09:47:20 AM »

Vulture

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 11:22:10 AM »

But if you don't watch tv, why should you be intimidated into paying a licence?

I don't watch sport, soaps, quiz games, discussions or 'reality' tv. What's left is/are repeats that I watched the first time round - probably in the sixties - and, having seen them umpteen times, find the humour/novelty has worn thin.

I have loads of videos (it's amazing how cheap they are in charity shops; everyone is giving them away because they've moved over to DVDs!) that I watch when I'm in the mood and when I've run out of books.

I don't feel I should be browbeaten into paying for a licence when I am not watching what the tv companies are broadcasting. So there! 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 11:25:15 AM by Vulture »

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 11:42:58 AM »
Do you have a TV aerial, Vulture? If so, is it plugged in?
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 11:47:14 AM »

That's for her to know, and you to find out, Tarquin. Don't let power go to your head. ;)

Vulture

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 11:47:54 AM »

No, and No.

(Are you moonlighting?)

peter

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 12:00:43 PM »

These are rather serious questions do you work for the licensing office at the BBC TT111