Author Topic: Dogs  (Read 13739 times)

peter

Re: Dogs
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 09:20:51 AM »
O.k. just mail me your address and I will post you a check, I will type silently from now on.
Just thought that you had all gone to a party and not let me know. I would have brought my ten year old Russian vodka bottle.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 09:36:16 AM by peter »

Calypso

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 05:57:26 PM »
I don't understand why people mistreat animals, Peter. My beautiful Himalayan is a rescue cat. She'd been abandoned somewhere with her kittens. I adopted her nearly nine years ago from a wonderful no-kill shelter. She's now around 12 or so. She still has issues as a result of the abandonment, but I couldn't ask for a sweeter, more loving cat.

peter

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 06:05:17 PM »
I know what you mean I could cry at some of the strays I see at the shelters.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 06:07:59 PM »

You've actually seen Roger waiting for a bus?
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 07:54:05 PM »
You're such snobs, you car drivers!
Older regulars on this site will know that I'm...er..not too fond of cats. Inside the house, they have two main objectives---to secure the most comfortable spot (cat baskets aren't good enough) and to eat. They are quite prepared to do the odd bit of purring for food but that's it. Their owners are treated with contempt. Outside the house, it's a question of seeing how much of the local wildlife they can slaughter. For fun.
I grew up with dogs. My mother used to breed Pyreneans. About 8 ft high and 10 ft long, they were very affectionate. Which was probably just as well.

Tom

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2007, 08:10:41 PM »
Did the Pyreneans get on with cats?

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2007, 08:29:30 PM »
No----I think they upset their stomachs.

peter

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 09:51:04 PM »

You've actually seen Roger waiting for a bus?
There goes our serious discussion.

Diamond Lil

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 07:40:50 AM »

We also had a Siamese cat called Snoopy who sat, back warming nicely at the Aga, and watched the progression of small puppies into very large Pyreneans - they (the dogs) learned to salute him as they waddled past

peter

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2007, 11:50:02 AM »

We also had a Siamese cat called Snoopy who sat, back warming nicely at the Aga, and watched the progression of small puppies into very large Pyreneans - they (the dogs) learned to salute him as they waddled past

I always found a clip round the ear at a early age soon sorted them out.
Oh for the good old days when you hid when a policeman was on his round and if you got caught you did not tell you dad in case you got a second clip.

Joan

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2007, 04:33:01 AM »
Cats aren't my pick either, Roger.  We couldn't have one anyway, as my daughter is very allergic to them. Don't mind them if they belong to someone else and are kept indoors, or at least restricted in their wandering - big debate over here about putting restrictions on cats - ie keeping them locked up inside all the time.  They do a lot of damage to native wildlife, especially around here where we live on the edge of a national park.  Dogs, on the other hand, are regulated to within an inch of their lives, understandably seeing as they're more likely to do damage to humans, but it's a bit frustrating when you can't even take your dog for a swim at the beach without risking a huge fine.  They do have a "doggie beach" near us, but it's in another council area and only residents are allowed to use it.  Our council doesn't have one.  We go anyway in the summer - how can you deny a labrador a swim on a 35?C day?

Here he is - he's 12 and a half, so getting a bit grey around the chops and a few other places.  The vet classified him as geriatric the other day, which initially offended me, but I suppose at 87 in human years, he is a bit of a senior canine.  He still thinks he's a puppy though, and bounds off when he gets excited, only to regret it later when he comes limping back - sound familiar?  It does to me. lol

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2007, 09:05:13 AM »
He looks very distinguished, Joan. Does he like mince?
I apologise, in advance.

peter

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2007, 11:43:06 AM »

How dare you try to poison that gorgeous Labrador by trying to feed it Mince

Vulture

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2007, 11:49:06 AM »

I'm sure that if Mince was cooked properly, then well minced, the dog would be able to handle it!

peter

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2007, 11:52:16 AM »

I'm sure that if Mince was cooked properly, then well minced, the dog would be able to handle it!
My dogs have not so far been able to.