Author Topic: Happy Birthday Beau !  (Read 5707 times)

Rob Baker

Happy Birthday Beau !
« on: November 02, 2018, 12:00:03 AM »

Well, Beau's not seen the full 40 years, but you get my drift.

Beau Peep first appeared in the launch issue of the Daily Star on 2nd November 1978.     

The Daily Star was the first national paper to be launched in Britain since the 'Daily Worker' in 1930 (and I'm told that Mr Kettle and Mr Christine had a cartoon strip in the first edition of that paper too).

The very first Beau Peep strip.

Two years ago next month, and after an incredible 11,270 (approx) strips, the Star dropped Beau.

Thanks again, Roger and Andrew.

I don't half miss the old devil.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Re: Happy Birthday Beau !
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 09:25:45 AM »
I see that Roger and Andrew had much spikier hair back then.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 11:58:42 AM »
Happy Birthday, Beau!

Perhaps Egon might forge a cake?
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 06:53:00 PM »
Thanks, Rob---I just noticed this post.
Seeing that first strip again brings back memories. I had absolutely no idea where the whole thing would go and was winging it as I went. We were given an initial 6-month contract and we were both delighted. Andrew and I were pretty much broke at the time and six months of guaranteed income was beyond our dreams!

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 02:08:53 PM »
Have all the strips been made into books?  I have books 3-19, The Colour Collection, The Return of Beau Peep and, thanks to Diane, a printout of Book 1.

Rob Baker

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 12:51:04 AM »
Have all the strips been made into books?  I have books 3-19, The Colour Collection, The Return of Beau Peep and, thanks to Diane, a printout of Book 1.

Looks like you have all bar one of the books Bill. 
Twenty-one Beau Peep books have been published in the UK -- Books 1 to 19, plus the un-numbered 'Colour Collection', and 'The Return of Beau Peep'.   
Only Books 1 and 2 reprinted every strip from the Star since it's launch in 1978. The books thereafter only carried selected reprints.  There's many thousands of strips lying in the archive unseen again since the day they were printed in the paper.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 05:38:48 PM »

Twenty-one Beau Peep books have been published in the UK -- Books 1 to 19, plus the un-numbered 'Colour Collection', and 'The Return of Beau Peep'.   
Only Books 1 and 2 reprinted every strip from the Star since it's launch in 1978. The books thereafter only carried selected reprints.  There's many thousands of strips lying in the archive unseen again since the day they were printed in the paper.

Thanks Rob

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 03:29:25 AM »

They owe it to the world to let people see those strips online!
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 02:58:28 PM »
I believe Rob has all the strips. They need scanning, cropping, cleaning up and putting online. It's a lot of work and not something any one person can or ought to do.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 05:56:35 PM »
I believe Rob has all the strips. They need scanning, cropping, cleaning up and putting online. It's a lot of work and not something any one person can or ought to do.

I'll do it !