Beau Peep Notice Board > Just a Fort

Question for Roger - No.386

<< < (3/6) > >>

Mince:

--- Quote from: Roger Kettle on February 08, 2019, 09:31:00 AM ---I didn't pay much attention to the artwork and there IS something weird about it. Maybe some tracing went on?

--- End quote ---

See! That's why I wrote 'forgery'!

Tarquin Thunderthighs lll:

--- Quote from: Rob Baker on February 08, 2019, 12:26:42 AM ---Fake Beaus?
Hmmm, I'm not so sure Tarqs....I reckon the artwork looks very much like Andrew's from that era, but it's definitely a different version from the published piece.  The style of lettering is very unusual though. 

By the way Tarqs, didn’t some smart-arsed Star reader spot the subtle style differences when you took over the reigns on a few Beau strips when Andrew was poorly ?   ;)

--- End quote ---

Aye, indeed, Rob  :P, which is partly why I'm surprised you're still puzzled about this one. There's no tracing involved - if there had been, the proportions at least would be the same, and the classic schoolboy error of not having enough space to fit in the uniforms (above) would be avoided. The other big schoolboy error is to think the lettering doesn't matter - that was actually the hardest part for me when ghosting Andrew's style, and I think I'm right in saying was the biggest clue for the afore-said smart-arse?

But it's a pretty good copy, presumably by a fan and aspiring cartoonist. I used to do these things all the time as a kid - copying Giles, Thelwell, Reg Smythe and many others as I taught myself to draw cartoons, learning from their highly skilled lines.

What I didn't do was ever try to sell the results, and certainly not attempt to pass them off as the work of the original artists in the process. That shouldn't happen (assuming the seller here is the person who drew these). I'd be inclined to blow the whistle, but I almost admire the cheek here, and should anyone be daft enough to part with 800 quid for a clear forgery (ooh, well done, Mincey!) then more fool them. Had they been genuine Kettle & Christines though, I don't think that would be an excessive price for three strips at all. But then perhaps I would say that, wouldn't I?

Anyone want to buy some Bananaman artwork....?  8)

Roger Kettle:
You're right, Tarks---tracing doesn't make sense and, as you say, it's a pretty good copy. VERY strange.

Mince:
Maybe it's Andrew making money on the side.

Tarquin Thunderthighs lll:
Looking at the seller's other listed items, I suspect they are not the creators of this copy, and that they probably believe it to be genuine, and not the iron pyrite version that it is. My conscience got the better of me, thinking some poor sucker might actually pay 800 quid for this, so I've dropped the seller a line.

If he gets back to me, agreeing to buy my James Bond car for 600 grand, I'll let you know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version