Author Topic: The beaver conundrum  (Read 794 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

The beaver conundrum
« on: May 27, 2022, 05:46:42 PM »
I heard the beavers splashing about in our pond yesterday and thought isn’t this nice – it would cost millions of pounds at the Chelsea Garden Show to put real beavers in the winning “re-wilding” garden.

In fact, without the beavers, we wouldn’t have water in the pond past July each year to water the veggie garden. However, one of the little buggers has chewed through the electric cord attached to my submerged water pump. Electric cords are frightfully expensive, more so if this is going to be a regular occurrence.

I wasn’t plugged in thank goodness when they did the dirty deed – that would have been extra shocking near or in the water.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: The beaver conundrum
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 08:26:25 PM »
I always love hearing about the exotic wildlife that lives around you, Diane...bears, moose, beavers. I think you should produce a David Attenborough-type series for us with you wandering around among them. "The Life of Di", perhaps?

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 09:02:51 PM »
I was just out there for two hours watering and trying to free the strawberry plants from the quack grass. There is always something going on, today it was a loud pair of Canada Geese. I sometimes watch BBC springwatch and we for sure have the same kind of interesting critter viewings here in the garden. I told you that I had a mink show up in the bird feeder this spring eh?  It would make a good show :-)

Hubby fixed my water pump wire and got it off the ground nearest the pond putting it up on surveyor's stakes - I hope the beavers can resist surveyor's stakes.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 01:11:23 AM »
Update on the veggie patch. I haven't had to water as much this year, after two years of drought that's a good thing :-)