Author Topic: Timeless  (Read 2506 times)

Sandy Buttcheeks

Timeless
« on: May 23, 2020, 10:05:03 PM »
I may have said this before (if I wasn't so lazy, I'd check but I'm sure Mince will anyway) but I'll say it again...Beau Peep is timeless. The humour in both the writings and the the artwork will be able to be read years from now and still make you cry with laughter.

What brought this on I hear you mumble, feigning interest?

Blackadder and Monty Python, that's what.

I was watching series 2 episode 1 with my daughter Bob, (the episode where she got her nickname funnily enough) and we sat in absolute sides-sore hilarity at a programme 34ish years old. Why? Because the humour is of the utmost quality, that's why. It is every bit as funny and fresh now as it was in 86 when it came out.
We sat a few weeks ago watching Monty Pythons Life of Brian (1979!) and again the humour in it is simply timeless. Bob has been able to recite Monty Python lines from an age that should have got me in trouble with the authorities, and its one of my proudest achievements.
She was born in 97, and should be a child from a different era yet the humour still comes through.Beau Peep is exactly the same.
In my own humble opinion, BP is every bit as equal to such classics as Blackadder and Monty Python. It is timeless humour of the highest caliber and will be for ever and a day. The strip may be published no more, but the legacy that Andrew and Roger have left is a timeless piece of humour that will never lose its greatness.

Just sayin...

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Re: Timeless
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 07:57:11 AM »
I may have said this before

If you did, it was a long time ago.  ;D

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 07:59:07 AM »
Just sayin...

I dare say you'll be learning to use that online image editing software so that you can help get all the strips online.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 11:36:25 AM »
Couldn't agree more, Sandy.

We sat a few weeks ago watching Monty Pythons Life of Brian (1979!) and again the humour in it is simply timeless. Bob has been able to recite Monty Python lines from an age that should have got me in trouble with the authorities, and its one of my proudest achievements.

A couple of years back, I had a visit from an old pal I'd not seen since our school days (over 40 years now). He stayed for a couple of days, during which we shared many great memories of our early years, so it was no great surprise when we decided to give our jaws a rest and chill for a couple of hours, that that he chose 'Life Of Brain' to watch on Netflix. I was amazed as we sat through it, that he could remember every single line - a fact he demonstrated by saying each one out loud in the correct Python voice, just before it was said on screen. I was hugely impressed...that I managed to restrain myself from ramming my fist down his throat long before the closing credits. I released the pressure valve somewhat by singing "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life" (a bit of a theme song of mine) very loudly and out of tune during the crucifixion scene.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 05:52:50 PM »
I was amazed as we sat through it, that he could remember every single line - a fact he demonstrated by saying each one out loud in the correct Python voice, just before it was said on screen. I was hugely impressed...that I managed to restrain myself from ramming my fist down his throat long before the closing credits.

Don't watch the Good Life with me then: I can quote every line of all thirty episodes and hum all the incidental music.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 08:22:28 PM »
Sandy, you MAY have made these comparisons before as I seem to recall responding to something similar. What you say is extremely flattering but, sadly, I can't agree. Monty Python was stunningly original. While all the members openly confessed to being influenced by the great Spike Milligan (as I was), they took TV comedy to a whole new level. Likewise with Blackadder. This was basically a sitcom but one that had never been seen before. Nobody previously had taken a brilliant character and then followed his bloodline across the centuries. Like Monty Python, it was truly inspired.
My cartoon strips had no originality. I was following a well-worn path that I had learned in my time writing for children's comics. You take an established hero---like a foreign legionnaire or a cowboy---and then come up with a wimpy, useless version. As I said, there was no originality involved. This is not false modesty on my part. I think Andrew and I produced some decent work---he was a brilliant artist and I was a consistent writer and that's a strong combination. Certainly, it was enough to give us a long career but, no, we came nowhere near the genius of the shows you mention. Having said that---thank you!

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 09:41:58 PM »
Sandy, you MAY have made these comparisons before as I seem to recall responding to something similar. What you say is extremely flattering but, sadly, I can't agree. Monty Python was stunningly original. While all the members openly confessed to being influenced by the great Spike Milligan (as I was), they took TV comedy to a whole new level. Likewise with Blackadder. This was basically a sitcom but one that had never been seen before. Nobody previously had taken a brilliant character and then followed his bloodline across the centuries. Like Monty Python, it was truly inspired.
My cartoon strips had no originality. I was following a well-worn path that I had learned in my time writing for children's comics. You take an established hero---like a foreign legionnaire or a cowboy---and then come up with a wimpy, useless version. As I said, there was no originality involved. This is not false modesty on my part. I think Andrew and I produced some decent work---he was a brilliant artist and I was a consistent writer and that's a strong combination. Certainly, it was enough to give us a long career but, no, we came nowhere near the genius of the shows you mention. Having said that---thank you!

Ach, what do you know? I agree with Buttcheeks.
I apologise, in advance.

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 09:42:58 PM »
I was amazed as we sat through it, that he could remember every single line - a fact he demonstrated by saying each one out loud in the correct Python voice, just before it was said on screen. I was hugely impressed...that I managed to restrain myself from ramming my fist down his throat long before the closing credits.

Don't watch the Good Life with me then: I can quote every line of all thirty episodes and hum all the incidental music.

Okay - I've scored that one off my bucket list.  (y)
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 10:42:58 PM »

Roger, I second Tarks. You're too stupid to appreciate your own genius.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 03:05:49 AM »
I don't like many comics but do think the characters are cute. 

Some that I do like, I think hey, that was clever - such as Gary Larson, Calvin & Hobbes and these new Stranger Planet characters by Nathan Pyle. They amuse me because they are witty.

Then there is Beau Peep and Herman - these two have a warm-hearted aspect to them and actually tickle my funny bone or as you would say these days make me LOL I pull them out every few years and have a chuckle all over again, so I would have to agree with Buttcheeks - they are timeless. 

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 05:15:27 PM »

Roger, I second Tarks. You're too stupid to appreciate your own genius.

I thruple that motion!  Vultures and the Nomad are brilliant.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 09:40:35 PM »
Diane is spot on. There are clever cartoons, there are amusing cartoons. But I won't be the only one here who has read the strips and been in tears of laughter, properly guffawing (if I may be so bold!).
Beau Peep is the only strip to have done that for me, and if I read the same bits again and again....I still kill myself laughing at them. They are simply that good.

Monty Python, Blackadder, Beau Peep.....my three go to funny places every time.

Tell me Roger (whisper it if you're embarrassed), any "comedians/celebs" ever say that they loved the strips ?