Author Topic: All The Beau Peep Strips Online  (Read 11135 times)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
All The Beau Peep Strips Online
« on: May 20, 2020, 01:59:08 PM »
We wish to get all the Beau Peep strips online so that they can be enjoyed in full in chronological order but also searched by character (e.g. Beau, Dennis, Egon), by location (e.g. desert, bar, fort, parade ground) and date (e.g. 1981, 02 JUL 1987 to 27 JUL 1988).

Specifically, we are looking for volunteers to help:

1. crop the scans into individual strip images;

2. tag these images by character, location and date.

If you wish to help with the cropping, we can suggest suitable free programs that you can download and use, along with instructions on how to cut the scanned images into single strips.

If you wish to help with the tagging, we can explain how to do this.

Make a post here here if (a) you wish to help or (7) are just bored.

A Legionnaire

Re: All The Beau Peep Strips Online
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 03:28:42 PM »
Hi Mince,

Happy to help as much as I can. I know I must look like an eager beaver but I'm (7) really bored.

I do have a modest & recent knowledge of photoshop, but unfortunately this laptop is too old/slow etc to actually run it & due to the 'circumstances', I'm not going to be going outside to upgrade any time soon. I'm happy to test the free programmes though.

Tagging, pretty much know nothing. I know what it is, and how it works as a user. I just don't know how to apply it to images.

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 03:34:49 PM »
Mince, I have already offered my services to this (Rob knows).  I reiterate my offer and loyalty to the BP Forum in this great endeavour.  I've got out to do the work - just need access to the strips (physically or digitally)

Bill

A Legionnaire

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 04:02:20 PM »
Just a bit of a late thought. I'm sure I've seen somewhere (probably the depths of this very forum), that sometimes the strips aren't printed properly. Such as out of sequence, repeat of an earlier part of the week's strip, and I seem to recall one strip where a speech bubble went awry (Something about the Nomad's kazoo?).

What are we doing with those?
Are we going to correct the errors or leave everything in it's original printed format?

I'm sure they're few and far between, so it probably wouldn't be too much to fix.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 04:11:32 PM »
There is usually a number in the cartoon to indicate its time stamp.  It just needs Rob to detail the dates that represent a number range.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 04:13:13 PM »
I can always try and scan in my books, separate the strips and tag them.  I do have a good scanner, photoshop and Lightroom.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 04:21:30 PM »
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 05:01:20 PM »
I could do a few trial pages to see how big the files are and long they take to come through.

My book #1 website will there for up to three years after I pass away due to the website company direct billing my credit card. What will be the legacy arrangements for these strips?
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 09:29:52 PM »
Happy to help as much as I can.

Excellent!

I do have a modest & recent knowledge of photoshop, but unfortunately this laptop is too old/slow etc to actually run it & due to the 'circumstances', I'm not going to be going outside to upgrade any time soon. I'm happy to test the free programmes though.

I am trying out a few, but for those of you who do not want to install new software, there is a website that allows you to upload images, crop them and save them: https://pixlr.com/x/

Tagging, pretty much know nothing. I know what it is, and how it works as a user. I just don't know how to apply it to images.

That is not the tagging that I am thinking of. I want to have a database of the images that details what characters are in each strip, what locations they are set in and the date of the strip. This will be used by the website I set up to search the strips.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 09:31:55 PM »
Mince, I have already offered my services to this (Rob knows).  I reiterate my offer and loyalty to the BP Forum in this great endeavour.  I've got out to do the work - just need access to the strips (physically or digitally)

Rob Baker has all the strips (though I guess we could start with those in the books). He will need to agree to scan his scrapbooks and upload them to a separate forum that I shall set up. Then we just need to allocate work.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2020, 09:32:49 PM »
Just a bit of a late thought. I'm sure I've seen somewhere (probably the depths of this very forum), that sometimes the strips aren't printed properly. Such as out of sequence, repeat of an earlier part of the week's strip, and I seem to recall one strip where a speech bubble went awry (Something about the Nomad's kazoo?).

We can include that information in the database and it can show on the screen (web page) with the strip.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2020, 09:36:23 PM »
There is usually a number in the cartoon to indicate its time stamp.  It just needs Rob to detail the dates that represent a number range.

Each image needs to be saved with the following format (date and number): MON 15 DEC 1978 - 1790.jpg

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2020, 09:38:07 PM »
I can always try and scan in my books, separate the strips and tag them.  I do have a good scanner, photoshop and Lightroom.

Excellent! We can start there. I think the numbers in the books might be different from those on the original strips. You will have to ask Rob.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2020, 09:39:04 PM »
I did book #1 many years ago.

http://beaupeepbooknumber1.homestead.com/index.html

So we can download those and start there.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 09:41:34 PM »
I could do a few trial pages to see how big the files are and long they take to come through.

Or you could scan the pages and just upload them for other to crop.

My book #1 website will there for up to three years after I pass away due to the website company direct billing my credit card. What will be the legacy arrangements for these strips?

If by "these strips" you mean all the strips in one collection, we will need to sort out something so that they remain online even after we all kick the bucket.