Author Topic: Languages.  (Read 1241 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Languages.
« on: August 06, 2020, 10:11:23 PM »
Are any of you comfortable speaking a foreign language? I've always been ashamed that I did little to develop the stuff I learned at school. (I studied French, German and Russian). I also had a French grandmother and a father who was completely bi-lingual with a near-perfect knowledge of Spanish thrown in. I guess that, if I'd practised the languages, I would have been more fluent but laziness took over. It would take me a long time in the company of French and German speakers to get back to anything like the level I used to have at school. (My Russian was always horrendous). It embarrasses me that I've been visiting Portugal for more than 15 years and all that I can manage is the odd "obrigado". Shameful.
For some reason, I know that the Sioux for beer is "M'nee-bee-gah". Extremely useful.
Anyway, back to my original question--are any of you comfortable speaking a foreign language?

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: Languages.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 10:44:19 PM »

I feel proud that I can listen to Irish, Scottish, Liverpudlian etc stand-up comedians without having to put the CC on, my family thinks they are speaking a different language. 

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 12:52:29 PM »
The only languages I know are computer languages.

I might learn to speak Scottish one day.

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 11:46:19 AM »
I used to speak Deutsch but am rusty now due to lack of practise.