Author Topic: Snowing  (Read 2454 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

Snowing
« on: October 19, 2020, 08:19:53 PM »
Just started snowing today and I have started feeding the birds - black oil sunflower seeds and a block of bird suet. 

First guest was a black-capped chickadee :-) 
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
Re: Snowing
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 09:22:08 PM »
Haven't seen snow at our place in a few years.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 09:30:16 PM »
Well, it took three trips to the city until black oil sunflower seeds were in stock. There is a great demand for bird seed this year in the same way as flour was speeding off the shelves in March.

I had to know I would have enough for the winter (what I normally do) so I could set the amount I feed each day. They get dependent on a feeder and I wouldn't want them to starve.

As usual, they bird feeding really cheers me up - I think this must be my 8th winter doing it. 

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 09:51:34 PM »
The chickadees let me hand feed them.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 09:35:58 AM »
Lovely photo, Diane.
I have a friend in Red Lodge, Montana, who is up to his knees in snow at the moment. He also has a full-time job trying to keep bears out of his trash cans.
We have sparrows in our garden.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 01:22:16 PM »
We have mushrooms, or toadstools.

And now rain.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 06:56:35 PM »
We have mushrooms, or toadstools.

And now rain.

On the bright side, you must have fairies then.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 07:04:10 PM »
Lovely photo, Diane.
I have a friend in Red Lodge, Montana, who is up to his knees in snow at the moment. He also has a full-time job trying to keep bears out of his trash cans.
We have sparrows in our garden.

It is funny, I didn't think bird watching would be enough to cheer me up this winter, but once again it has.

Our snow has came and went three times but looks like it is now here to stay, I have shoveled the path 7 times already this season but we only have about 6" right now. 

We drive our garbage to a transfer station and I compost and recycle as much as I can - if it were left outside, all sorts of animals would be into it - skunks have been an issue for a few years in our area.   

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 07:12:12 PM »
I bought some garden tools for our fairies this year. Something took off with two of the boots - funny to think of them sitting in a bird nest somewhere lol 

(it really is a shame I don't have any grandkids)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 09:33:00 AM »
I doubt if that opening sentence of yours has ever been used before.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 10:35:55 PM »
I doubt if that opening sentence of yours has ever been used before.

You are probably correct; fairies are lazy buggers and need to be strongly persuaded to grow their own cabbages. 

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 10:28:48 AM »
fairies are lazy buggers and need to be strongly persuaded to grow their own cabbages.

They probably prefer growing marijuana after getting high on magic mushrooms.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2020, 07:19:02 AM »
fairies are lazy buggers and need to be strongly persuaded to grow their own cabbages.

They probably prefer growing marijuana after getting high on magic mushrooms.

That is now legal in Alberta. Maybe i should plant on out there for a laugh.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2020, 10:42:04 AM »
That is now legal in Alberta.

Does Alberta have great sales in fairy gardening tools?

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2020, 05:47:25 PM »
That is now legal in Alberta.

Does Alberta have great sales in fairy gardening tools?

So far it has been traditional gardening tools such as watering cans and shovels, but I will let them know there is now a demand for tiny hydroponic pot growing systems.