Author Topic: The pub.  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
The pub.
« on: April 29, 2021, 08:50:11 PM »
I went to the pub tonight for the first time in...I'm really not sure. I can't remember when the hospitality sector closed down in Scotland but I'm guessing it was about 6 months ago. Anyway, it was nice to catch up with some old friends over a couple of beers. I'd like to say it was, as the current cliche goes, a return to normality but, of course, it wasn't. Alcohol is only permitted outside so we sat in a distinctly chilly area behind the pub. To access this, a mask must be worn for the three-second trip through the bar. The setting was glorious---a decked platform on the waterside with views across the River Tay to Dundee and the hills beyond but the temperature meant that conversations were conducted through chattering teeth. I'm certainly not complaining. The horror that is being experienced in India, Brazil and elsewhere is more than enough to make me feel grateful for the relaxations that are slowly coming into force over here.
I had two pints of beer and a laugh with some friends I hadn't seen for months. That's a nice start.

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: The pub.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 12:51:15 AM »
That sounds lovely Roger. 

It would be a good idea if pubs had patio fires in this time of transition - people would enjoy them every year in the spring/fall.

I was able to get my first shot last week (happy dance)

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 03:14:30 PM »
Actually, Diane, there were heaters on the wall. If you sat directly under them, your head got burned and, if you moved three feet away, you got no warmth at all. I suppose it's the thought that counts!
Glad you've had your first jab---as an old fella, I get my second on Sunday.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 09:19:46 AM »
Actually, Diane, there were heaters on the wall. If you sat directly under them, your head got burned and, if you moved three feet away, you got no warmth at all. I suppose it's the thought that counts!

Scotland has coats, doesn't it?

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 09:21:49 AM »
Sometimes, kind English tourists donate them.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 01:15:54 PM »
Sometimes, kind English tourists donate them.

That's good. I guess Dundee Utd need them for goal posts.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 07:39:39 PM »
Oh, Mince, you really shouldn't attempt football jokes!

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 08:13:44 PM »
Why not? Dundee Utd managed it.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 09:21:37 AM »
Well, let me tell you that...um...okay, you've got a point.