Author Topic: Moose  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

Moose
« on: January 23, 2021, 04:52:42 PM »
Roger, I know you like to hear when the moose stop by, they are late with this year's visit by about a month due to the mild winter we have had. All three are back and the baby who had a bad case of mange last year is looking much better.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Moose
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 07:49:13 PM »
Thanks, Diane, these are great. They really are magnificent beasts and remind me of the Red Deer from my Highland background. (Although, in truth, Red Deer look more like Elk. I suppose you have them there. too.) Anyway, thanks again---loved the photos.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 08:28:51 PM »
I lived and worked in a central Alberta town called Red Deer when I first came to Canada - funnily enough that isn't a native deer in the area. After 39 years of living here, your thoughts made me look up why a city would be named after a non-local animal.

Red Deer was named after the river on which it sits on. The natives called the river Waskasoo Seepee- interpreted as “Elk River.” However, the British traders translated it to “Red Deer River” as they mistakenly assumed that Elk was the European red deer. Although the settlers named the place “Red Deer,” the name of the river is still Waskasoo Seepee.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 10:39:31 PM »
Yes, the Red Deer and the Elk are almost indistinguishable. I spent a couple of pleasant evenings in the Mint Bar, Sheridan, Wyoming, which has an astonishing array of stuffed hunting trophies around the walls. What I had assumed to be the head of a Red Deer turned out to be that of an Elk, which the bartender kindly explained to me. They also had a ten-foot long skin of a rattlesnake in a case above the bar. I was glad I hadn't met its owner when it was alive. Are there rattlesnakes in Alberta?

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 11:17:56 PM »
Yes, there is an area on the very south east part of the province called Cypress Hills that has a bit of a desert vibe going on. I had planned to go down there last year in my camper van but alas, covid and the engine falling out stopped that dream in its tracks.

Offline Max

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 12:00:33 PM »
Diane, I watched a TV documentary the other night about the 10 deadliest animals on Earth.
Some you would expect, lions and tigers and bears (oh my).
Chimpanzees were almost at the top, but surprisingly the cause of most deaths and injuries was the moose.
Don't ever get between mummy moose and her baby mooses, and if driving, better use a tank, moose have a thing about walking across the highway.
No doubt you already know this, I just found it surprising.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 06:50:50 PM »
I think there are a lot of moose through the windshield deaths out east, they are so tall that when they come through the windshield and thrash about, they kill people with their mighty feet.

I did get into an altercation with one once - it was bothering my ancient dog who wouldn't have stood a chance if it kicked him - so I chased it off with a broom.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 07:49:43 PM »
I chased off a pigeon once. Moose/pigeon---same thing.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 09:41:18 PM »
I chased off a pigeon once. Moose/pigeon---same thing.

When I was a kid, my granddad would give me a salt shaker and told me if I could sprinkle salt on a pigeon's tail, this would tame it and I could keep it for a pet.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 10:38:46 PM »
And that was absolutely true, Diane. Granddads never lie.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 10:44:45 PM »
I should have tried just a bit harder then.