Author Topic: First record.  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
First record.
« on: September 09, 2021, 08:51:27 PM »
What was the first record you ever bought? I was down at the pub earlier for my usual Thursday night "two beers and sort out the world's problems" when this topic came up. I'm not sure but I think mine was an awful dirge called "Tom Dooley". I certainly remember owning a couple of songs by The Chipmunks but I think my parents bought them for me. (Whatever happened to them? Did Alvin hit the drugs and leave the band for musical reasons?) In my teens, I tended to buy comedy LPs by the likes of Spike Milligan and Bob Newhart before jumping on anything by The Who. Some of the answers from my friends tonight included "Sylvia's Mother" by Doctor Hook and "19th Nervous Breakdown" by The Stones. Anyway, what was your first record?

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: First record.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 12:36:30 AM »
I got singles - my Mum worked in a shop that sold records so I got treated to a few each month when I hit my teens.

First were Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty and Fernando - ABBA
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Max

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 08:46:06 AM »
My first record at the age of 7 was not my choice.
I wanted a Cliff Richard song, can't recall the title and asked my pal's grown up sister to buy it with my pocket money.
Sadly Cliff never made it to my house, instead she returned with James Darren "Goodbye cruel world (I'm off to join the circus)."

Ive hated the damned song ever since.

First LP was Monty Python's Flying Circus in 1971, it might still be in the loft with all the other LPs, sadly too old and fat to go and find out.

Online Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 11:57:40 AM »
First record player was a wind-up gramophone with wooden 'needles' that my ftaher brought home from whatever the equivalent of a car boot sale was back then (chariot sale?). It played 78rpm records and he managed to get hold of a few of those too. I can still reel off almost every word of 'You Were Meant For Me' and 'The Broadway Melody' to this day.

A year or two later, he bought us a 'proper' electric record player, with a stacking arm and everything! He also decided what the first records for me and my two brothers should be, and they arrived with the record player. My older brother got 'The Songs Of Burl Ives', whilst my younger brother was treated to 'Songs From The Carry On Team' ('You Need Feet' by Bernard Bresslaw was a particular favourite, along with Kenneth Williams 'Cordwangle Song'). I got the pick of the bunch though, in 'Songs Of Danny Kaye'. My old man enjoyed comedy songs!

First LP I actually bought for myself was one called 'Songs Of Eurovision', and was one of those "Not Original Artists" recordings by session musicians. Most of the tracks (I thought) were better than the original versions. I can't actually remember what my first single was, but I do recall once buying one by accident. Or negligence perhaps, rushing out the shops in haste with my pocket money, forgetting that they didn't update the new charts for a day or two after they were announced, and asking for the "Number 1 please!" instead of the song by title and artist. Only when I completed the run home did I realise my expensive error (pocket money was thin on the ground back then). But I learned to love 'Son Of My Father' by Chicory Tip over time. I can remember the record I intended to buy, but I'm way too embarrassed to say what it was. I'll leave that to the sleuths out there to find out.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 12:02:27 PM by Tarquin Thunderthighs lll »
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 12:25:46 AM »
We really have things made these days will all the instant and free entertainments on the WWW

I don't know about the rest of you but I feel bad for Tarqs picking up the wrong record back then, probably had to walk a fair distance to buy it too?
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 01:29:27 PM »
I try not to complain, Diane.

But it was at LEAST quarter of a mile!
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 09:10:25 PM »
Tarks, I remember that Chicory Tip song very well. It was early 1972 and I had returned to Dundee to resume my career as a sub-editor on the children's comic "The Topper". I was broke and living in a bed-sit with no TV and very little heating. In the evenings, I would lie under the covers of my bed and listen to the radio. "Son Of My Father" was played constantly and I have associated it with those days ever since. I'd like to think you're all in tears by now...

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 07:00:48 PM »
You had covers (plural) - most people back then just had scrunched up newspaper...

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 06:20:34 PM »
...And a wonderful, wonderful soup stone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrVrkj4WElE
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 06:25:47 PM by Tarquin Thunderthighs lll »
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Max

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 10:19:06 PM »
Chaps, hold on to your bits and pieces and try not to scream too loud.
Chicory Tip are still in existence and are playing a gig this Saturday in the Grove Green Hall, Penhurst Close, Maidstone, ME14 5BT.
Give Liz a call on 07790 254848 for tickets.

For news and dates of forthcoming gigs.

http://www.chicorytip.co.uk/

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 09:51:31 AM »
Good grief.

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2021, 02:30:05 PM »
But...but...but...they only had one hit! The rest bombed after they dropped the Stylophone intro.

Actually, having just listened to the first 15 seconds of the video on their website (their home page kinda confirms their one-hit-wonder status), I reckon I've stumbled on their big secret - they are Mike Batt's Wombles, unmasked!
I apologise, in advance.