Author Topic: Diane's Goldfish Moment  (Read 2005 times)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Diane's Goldfish Moment
« on: September 27, 2021, 12:49:52 PM »
I get fascinated by how my brain can recall things I did not know it even remembered. It's as though there's a key or trigger that brings to mind something I have not recalled for decades.

What is everyone's first memory, and what have you recalled recently that you have not thought of in a long time?

I remember as a child thinking that dark blue was light blue, because it was bolder, more substantial, and light blue was dark blue because it was fainter and less substantial.

I also remember getting confused between the words "kitchen" and "chicken". I also remember accidentally lighting the chicken on fire.

I also, vividly, remember finding a 50p coin in the park. But I don't recall what I spent it on.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 12:38:15 PM by Mince »

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: Things you forgot you knew . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 04:46:18 PM »
I remember lying on the couch in the good living room with my niece who is a year older than me - we both had one of those spotty childhood diseases at the same time and were being processed accordingly.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 05:35:49 PM »
This post made me look up if the Trumpton firemen roll-call started Hugh, Hugh Barney McGrew or Pugh, Pugh Barney McGrew

I loved that bit when I was three
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Online Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 10:39:19 AM »
My earliest memories were between the age of 2 and 4, when we lived on a housing estate in Glenrothes in Fife. Getting red busses into the big city (Kirkaldy) was a major treat. And the vans that came around the estate selling everything you could possibly need, long before supermarkets were ever thought of. Of course, to a 2-4 year-old, the Mr Whippy vans were the best. To this very day, I still associate the smell of diesel fumes with a 99 cone, and salivate uncontrollably.

I also had a torch in the shape of a gun activated by the trigger, which was the most precious thing on Earth at the time, and a technological marvel.

But it's the songs that fascinate me most. Listening to chart-toppers on the radio I might not have heard for half a century, and singing along to every word, practically faultlessy... as I stand in front of the open fridge door, trying to remember what I was looking for.

...the good living room...

There's posh! What went on in the bad living room?

This post made me look up if the Trumpton firemen roll-call started Hugh, Hugh Barney McGrew or Pugh, Pugh Barney McGrew

I loved that bit when I was three

Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb. Classic line-up, only surpassed by Aird, Hall, Connolly, Pearson and Aitken (obscure reference that probably only Roger will understand).
I apologise, in advance.

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 10:42:52 AM »
I remember as a child thinking that dark blue was light blue, because it was bolder, more substantial, and light blue was dark blue because it was fainter and less substantial.

Oh, for a quizzical Mr Spock raised eyebrow GIF right now...
I apologise, in advance.

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 10:53:15 AM »
I also, vividly, remember finding a 50p coin in the park. But I don't recall what I spent it on.

I'm shocked you didn't take it to the police station!

I found three pound notes rolled together in the gutter when I was about 6. An absolute fortune back then! My older brother was with me at the time, and claimed he'd spotted it first (he bloody didn't!). Our Mum took us to the police station, and they told us it was ours after three weeks, if no-one else claimed it. Longest three weeks of my life! It wasn't claimed, and my older brother stuck to his story, and was allocated two of the notes by Judge Mum, and I had to share the third with my little brother. Ten bob was still more money than I'd ever had in my short life before, but I shot my older brother in the leg with his own air pistol (dart, not pellet) about ten years later (I had no idea it was loaded, honest!). Not sure which of us was more shocked, but he never bothered me again after that.

Happy days!
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 12:44:54 PM »
Oh, I certainly understand the reference, Tarks! Great days.
When I was three, my family lived in Haiti (long story) and, apparently, I would keep disappearing from our house. This didn't concern my parents as they knew where to find me. I would run to the end of the street and sit with an old local guy who cleaned shoes and was my "best friend". I have fond, if very vague, memories of him.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 05:36:26 PM »

I'm shocked you didn't take it to the police station!

I found three pound notes rolled together in the gutter when I was about 6. An absolute fortune back then! My older brother was with me at the time, and claimed he'd spotted it first (he bloody didn't!). Our Mum took us to the police station, and they told us it was ours after three weeks, if no-one else claimed it. Longest three weeks of my life! It wasn't claimed, and my older brother stuck to his story, and was allocated two of the notes by Judge Mum, and I had to share the third with my little brother. Ten bob was still more money than I'd ever had in my short life before, but I shot my older brother in the leg with his own air pistol (dart, not pellet) about ten years later (I had no idea it was loaded, honest!). Not sure which of us was more shocked, but he never bothered me again after that.

Happy days!

I think we would all like to know if the air pistol was bought with the two pounds from the find.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 09:07:47 AM »
When I was three, my family lived in Haiti (long story) and, apparently, I would keep disappearing from our house. This didn't concern my parents as they knew where to find me. I would run to the end of the street and sit with an old local guy who cleaned shoes and was my "best friend". I have fond, if very vague, memories of him.

Did he try to sell you duck detectors?

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 03:39:05 PM »

I think we would all like to know if the air pistol was bought with the two pounds from the find.

Ha! Wouldn't that be lovely Karma?

But he would have been only about 7 or 8 at the time the money was found, so unlikely to have been sold one, despite growing up in Scotland.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2021, 01:02:54 AM »
I just clicked on this link again because I forgot what it was about - does that get a gold star for most recent?

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2021, 12:37:52 PM »
I have renamed the topic accordingly.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2021, 03:26:03 PM »
I have renamed the topic accordingly.

I know, I had to click on this title because I knew I hadn't seen that one before.

Re: Diane's Goldfish Moment
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2021, 06:33:06 PM »
I thought I had seen it before...then wondered why clicking on it brought me here.

Damn you and your accursed mind games, Mincey!
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Re: Diane's Goldfish Moment
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2021, 10:29:15 PM »
Damn you and your accursed mind games, Mincey!

Ooh, a whole school of goldfish.