Author Topic: Board Games  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

Board Games
« on: January 08, 2022, 06:21:41 PM »
Our boys especially, bring home new board games at Christmas. Hubby and I look at each other and do our best to put thinking caps on cheerful faces but really, most of them just seem like work, not only the work of learning the new rules but also the games themselves – negotiate with other players to wangle a sheep off them so you can build a house, build a railway, work as a detective...

But this year a classic was brought home – Cribbage. This seemed like it was worth learning to play. We even since have bought ourselves our own board and played a game last night outside of the merrymaking season with no children around.

You can feel the history that goes with the terms and imagine people playing it going back almost 400 years.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Board Games
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 08:00:53 PM »
Diane, I've been a fan of Cribbage all my life. Well, not quite. I was probably about 10 years old when my father taught me how to play. Years later, in the corner of a Highland bar, my pal Hamish and I would play for hours. It would cause much confusion and merriment to the regulars as we voiced our scores..."Fifteen two, fifteen four and one for his nob." I can understand their confusion.
Great game.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 10:43:38 PM »
When you know, you know.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 01:20:09 AM »
By pure coincidence, my kid brother messaged me on  January 2nd to say:

"Ooh! Just rediscovered Cribbage!"

To which I replied:

"Did you mean to type cabbage? Cabbage is excellent."

I stand by my reply.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 06:58:59 AM »
Cabbage is excellent.

Did you mean to type Kitkat?

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 01:15:35 PM »
KitKats are the Devil's work - everyone knows that.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 10:37:25 PM »
By pure coincidence, my kid brother messaged me on  January 2nd to say:

"Ooh! Just rediscovered Cribbage!"

To which I replied:

"Did you mean to type cabbage? Cabbage is excellent."

I stand by my reply.

Oh I do love cabbage, I grew some Savoy Cabbage last year for the first time (I was worried it would attract too many bugs). There were indeed too many bugs so I will grow flowers instead this year.