Author Topic: Storms.  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Storms.
« on: February 21, 2022, 08:14:49 PM »
Who gets to name storms? More importantly, how do you apply for the job? The last two storms to hit the UK have been called Dudley and Eunice. This is pathetic. I mean, take "Eunice". Two thirds of this name consists of the word "nice". Who on earth is going to be concerned when told that Eunice is approaching? I'll start getting worried when Storm Genghis Khan is on its way. Or Storm Attila the Hun. Or Storm Armageddon. But "Eunice"? I'm more likely to prepare by making some cucumber sandwiches.
I want the storm-naming job and---given the current weather---I'll happily take it on for a tenner a go.

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: Storms.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 11:43:14 PM »
I'm sure the person who gets the naming job, names them after in-laws and past dates that went badly wrong. 
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 11:42:55 AM »
I think you may be looking at this from the wrong perspective, Roger. I suspect that the naming is consciously benign in order to deflect from the severity of the storm, and thereby reduce fear and panic. And with that in mind, I have begun taping up my windows and sandbagging the front door of my fourth floor flat in preparation for Storms Percival, Dolly and Everard.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 10:26:39 AM »
I suspect that the naming is consciously benign in order to deflect from the severity of the storm

The names are not so much benign as wet-blouse girly, and inversely proportional to the severity.

I've heard that storm Tarquin might be the worst to come.

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 12:24:46 PM »
Let them Thundethighs roar!
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 02:20:44 PM »
Let them Thundethighs roar!

Thundethighs? I think you're talking out your r's.

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2022, 02:21:39 PM »
I see what you did there.
I apologise, in advance.