Author Topic: Grand Old Lady.  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Grand Old Lady.
« on: February 28, 2022, 07:02:27 PM »
Today has been spent in the company of family and friends to celebrate my mother-in-law's 100th birthday. She's a remarkable lady who worked in Radar during the war and has a multitude of wonderful stories. A few years back, we tried to encourage her to write down/dictate her memories so we could publish a book. This never happened but one day she told me she had a title in mind. "Delighted, Love John." Noticing my puzzlement, she explained that her father was overseas when she was born and that was the telegram he sent to her mother. Great title and a great lady. Here's to you, Margaret Mcleod!

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Re: Grand Old Lady.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 07:31:35 PM »
I shall raise a glass to that, Roger! Margaret sounds formidable. Great book title, too. You’d have to pick that one up at Waterstones to find out more.

Slainte mhath! 🥃
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 02:10:48 AM »
Delighted to learn of her - Happy 100th Birthday Mrs. McLeod :-)

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Max

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 12:41:38 PM »
Wishing her a very happy Birthday from me too Roger. Not quite so old today are my twin granddaughters Amy and Lucy (12) also my grandson Gavin who is 17.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 09:52:31 PM »
And here's to them too, Max!

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2022, 04:07:39 AM »
Wishing her a very happy Birthday from me too Roger. Not quite so old today are my twin granddaughters Amy and Lucy (12) also my grandson Gavin who is 17.

Siblings or cousins?

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Max

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2022, 12:19:16 PM »
They are cousins Diane.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2022, 06:00:29 AM »
Cool :-)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2022, 07:40:03 PM »
I was extremely confused for a while. How can twins be cousins? I finally worked it out.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2022, 11:18:11 AM »
Okay, I admit it. Me, too.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Max

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2022, 07:44:14 PM »
Heading over to Rothesay this morning, about a minute outside Wemyss Bay ferry terminal when the phone rang, my son telling me Lucy has covid.
Just a cough (hopefully all it ever is) at the moment and everyone else in the family is testing negative.
So sadly we had to do a U-turn and come home again, of course the masses of sweets etc in the boot will remain untouched til we return.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2022, 09:38:58 AM »
A lot of it around, Max. I know at least half-a-dozen friends and family who are currently fighting the bug. The good news is that there seems little doubt that the current strain is far less severe than previous ones. Hopefully, this will help build immunity against anything that comes along in the future.
Enjoy the sweets!