Author Topic: Gold star for being brave?  (Read 945 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

Gold star for being brave?
« on: March 25, 2022, 11:28:38 PM »
I drove about 7km on top of a lake today.

Sure it was still frozen but it gave me the creeps the whole time I was on in - drove with the window open just in case I crashed through the ice.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: Gold star for being brave?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 11:29:50 PM »
I had thought I would just be walking in to the fishing holes from the shore.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 09:33:59 AM »
I hope you caught something after that madness!

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2022, 01:11:10 PM »
Thank you for agreeing with me, it is situations like this that I don't feel like a "real" Canadian - had it been back even in February it wouldn't have been so bad, but the ducks are back sitting at the side of the lake waiting for their turn in it now.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2022, 01:18:08 PM »
Did the fish turn up on a motor pike? (Sorry - old habits and all that... I'm deeply ashamed)

I think the words "just in case I crashed through the ice" would have deterred me from even attempting that, Diane, far less winding down my windows, but I understand the logic. I walked across a lake in Sweden several times two years ago (just before Lockdown), and that was scary enough despite me not being the size of a car (unlike now - curse you, Covid!). Plenty of other people were doing it, including on bicycle, which perversely gave me more confidence, whilst others actually enjoyed lounging on hired deckchairs on the ice, soaking up the sunshine.

People are mad.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2022, 11:26:45 PM »
motor pike lol

It gives you the heebie-jeebies when you stop and think about it so I tried to imagine I was on a field. 

I had a similar experience when an educational live snake exhibit came to town for the kids to interact with. Everyone was holding snakes and one group of kids sat in a huge circle with a really big one sitting on all their laps that looked like it could swallow one or two of them at least. I was holding a stubby nosed brown snake when the heebie-jeebies hit me and of course could not throw it away in front on the children so had to stand there waiting for a handler. 

Have an adventure they say...

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2022, 12:06:40 PM »
:D

"Heebie-jeebies" is a wonderful expression, apparently coined by an American cartoonist originally.

I have an irrational fear of male siblings with falsetto singing voices. They give me the heebie-beegees (sorry... again).
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Max

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2022, 06:42:31 PM »
Well done Diane, no way would I walk over the ice far less drive on it. Too many videos on Youtube and Facebook of people and vehicles going through the ice.
So, did you catch anything and was it deep frozen?

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2022, 04:46:01 PM »
I caught a photo - I was out on the lake to get a photo of a guy ice fishing. It was pretty cool, sat in their tent (to get out the wind) and they had video cameras attached to their bait so I saw photos of pike that didn't bite.