Beau Peep Notice Board > Outpourings

Fruit Flies

(1/3) > >>

Diane CBPFC:
What kind of flies surround Egon?

I did a stupid thing and brought 5gal tree tubs in the house that I had grown tomatoes in last year, I thought I would start dahlias in the kitchen (doing nicely). I have fruit flies hatching out of the soil, they don't surround me like they do Egon but come at me at the rate of about one every 5 minutes and this is with fly strips installed.

They aim for my nose and land in my coffee cup and are driving me mad - Egon doesn't seem bothered by them so I wonder if we are dealing with the same insects or if I too need to be sloshed until I can put the tubs outside at the end of May.

Roger Kettle:
Yes, get sloshed.
I discovered a bit of a pest problem myself this morning. I was glancing out of my kitchen window to an area where my wife leaves bread and stuff for the birds. "That ain't no bird", I thought to myself as I watched a rat going back and forth to the food. The trouble is, one end of its back and forth trips was a ground-level vent thing on the wall of my house. Now, while I'd prefer not to have a family of rats living somewhere under my house, I'd also prefer not to have them all wiped out. What to do.
I'll join you in getting sloshed, Diane, while I think about it.

Tarquin Thunderthighs lll:
Flies, any flies, are the spawn of Satan. My hatred of them knows no bounds. It's not a phobia - I just HATE them! And yes, as I always told my daughters when they were complaining about their sprouts, "hate is a very strong word", but believe me - not strong enough where flies are concerned.

Rats, on the other hand, are kinda cute.

Chin chin!

Diane CBPFC:
Thank you for taking my side in this fly war Tarqs.

Roger if you don't want them living there and passing on the next plague to you but you also don't want to kill them, the only thing to do is to trap them then release them in somebody else's garden.

Roger Kettle:
Good thinking. I hope my wife is up to the task.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version