Author Topic: Denis  (Read 780 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

Denis
« on: May 17, 2022, 09:42:11 PM »
When you chose the names of your characters Roger you must not have know that there would be real people with the same name.

My brother's wife had a brother named Denis Pratt - I only met him a few times, he was a fun, classy guy. His funeral is on Thursday (he must have been around 80).

I wonder if his name in the obits will make people think of our dessert hero?

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Denis
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 05:18:24 PM »
At one time, The Daily Star ran something called "The Dennis Pratt Award for Outstanding Stupidity". Its title is self-explanatory and was handed out for various acts of idiocy that made the news. Apparently, it upset the actor and writer Quentin Crisp. His real name was Denis Pratt.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 06:27:48 PM »
Chris Pratt is a big movie star now.

I wonder if the families descended from a bunch of village Pratts such as people with surnames like Miller and Fletcher or if the surname only recently morphed into this meaning.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 07:56:48 PM »
Prat is a British expression with, as far as I can see, an unknown origin. It also appears to be another word for "buttocks" or "bottom".
I've learned a lot today.