Author Topic: It's been a while...  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
It's been a while...
« on: September 17, 2022, 08:23:07 PM »
Hello, again!
Since we last conversed, one topic has rather dominated the news. A woman has died at the age of 96. While I am no monarchist, I completely accept that Queen Elizabeth was both decent and extremely hard-working. Given everything that was going on around her family in recent times, her final years must have been really tough.
The concept of monarchy has, for me, been outdated for centuries but that doesn't mean I don't sympathise with those who are suffering the loss. I truly do.
On a personal note, I must apologise to all you parents and grandparents out there. My granddaughter, Marlowe, is the most gorgeous child ever born.

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: It's been a while...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 11:18:06 PM »
I had my youngest baby when my middle son was 5 years old. Being a girl, she got a lot of attention when people would see her in the shops etc saying how cute she was. Well my little boy got a bit tired of it and he said “if you think she’s cute, you should see ME in book #2” This was back in the days when we got print photos and carefully placed them in albums for each child. 

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 09:38:25 AM »
What a great reply. Love it!

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 11:39:37 AM »
Out of the mouth of babes... :)

Roger, every grandparent will challenge your claim, but all will understand it, and share the opinion about their own. The trick is maintaining the assertion when the next one comes along (my fourth is due within the next couple of months). I have no doubt she's an absolute stoatir though!

I do absolutely share your views about Queen Elizabeth however. Whatever one's view of the Monarchy, one must surely acknowledge that she was quite remarkable in her utter devotion to the task she neither sought, nor was born to inherit. And her near faultless execution of the job over 70 years has surely have softened the hearts of even many an ardent republican over the decades. Things will never quite be the same, and there are interesting times ahead, I have no doubt.

She's also been good for my career (though perhaps not as much as the rest of her immediate family), and has been a very loyal subject to draw (see what I did there?). I shall certainly miss her for that...

Godspeed, Elizabeth the First of Scotland.
I apologise, in advance.

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 11:40:32 AM »
I apologise, in advance.

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 11:42:45 AM »
I apologise, in advance.

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 11:43:21 AM »
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 05:55:05 PM »
Three absolutely superb cartoons, Steve.

Offline Max

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2022, 08:38:42 PM »
Excellent cartoons Steve, the best I have seen since the Queen's sad passing.
Thanks for sharing them.

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 01:10:13 PM »
Too kind, gents - thank you. I may have inadvertently been responsible for the edict requesting people to stop leaving marmalade sandwiches at the gates of Balmoral and other Royal places, after the Sun published that first one within 48 hours of the Queen's passing. I'll take that! 
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2022, 12:58:32 AM »
Wonderful cartoons Tarqs. The Bond sketch and the Paddington Bear sketch were great gifts to leave to everyone who admired her. 

My husband isn't much of a monarchist but he was willing to bend some wire for me for my ivy crown. It was time to dig up some ivy plants I had in the garden (cold) so I came up with this idea, if they fill out it could make a nice garden feature for next year if we have a coronation year event.

I always liked the Queen, I think she did a very good job of carving out a life she wanted for herself and her family with dogs and country pursuits with the glitzy job of being hostess on behalf of the UK.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2022, 09:36:07 AM »
I like the idea of a monarch called Queen Ivy.