Author Topic: Earthquake  (Read 644 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

Earthquake
« on: December 01, 2022, 04:59:58 PM »
We had an earthquake Tuesday evening. It was 100KM away but 5.8 so we felt the aftershocks. Really weird feeling, sounded like a tank was driving up to the house then a herd of moose running over the roof. The candles on the mantle shook. 

Never experienced one before, nobody was injured in this one and it was over pretty quick. I didn't know what to do, should I put my shoes on and run outside were it was really cold or take my chances on the house not falling down. I took my chances.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Earthquake
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 09:41:37 AM »
Very scary, Diane. My parents went through a couple of earthquakes when they lived in Haiti and found both experiences extremely disturbing. I think it's the utter helplessness people feel in these situations that is the scariest part.
Here in Scotland, I live just across the River Tay from an extinct volcano which forms the backdrop to the city of Dundee. At least, I hope it's extinct...

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 12:05:56 PM »
I think you're pretty safe across the water, Roger. And so long as the lava doesn't dribble along the Tay valley towards Perth, I'll sleep easy in my top floor flat.

I'm told we have quite a lot of small earthquakes in Scotland, though I've never felt the earth move for me in that respect. I hope I never do. It sounds terrifying, Diane. I'd have run outside I think, but it's not so cold here. Definitely shoes on though... if there's time.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 03:39:44 PM »
I think if it ever happened again I would run outside away from the building, but I didn't know what it was until about 10 minutes later.

Yesterday we were dealing with -41C wind chill but things are warming up today. Thanks goodness for movies and books :-) 
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 05:31:51 PM »
Aye, as I said, that’s a wee bit nippier than it is here, Diane. 😳
I apologise, in advance.