Author Topic: Told off by AI  (Read 496 times)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Told off by AI
« on: February 10, 2023, 05:15:54 PM »
I gave my made-up story about a tearful student to an AI and asked why it was funny, and basically I got told off.

ME: Why is this funny?

I need everyone's opinion on something, as I am a bit lost with this one. One of my students came to lesson yesterday looking a bit glum. She had forgotten her work, and her pen (and had to borrow both a pencil and paper), and then said little. She worked quietly on a few questions, and then a few minutes later, she broke down into tears and poured out all her problems at school concerning a certain bullying teacher, some fellow students who encouraged him, and several random examples of general nastiness amongst peers that I can only assume were the tip of the iceberg. For several minutes she was literally inconsolable, sobbing with her face in her hands, and I guess I was at a loss as to what to do. So any advice here would be helpful: should I give out free paper and pencils or should I start charging them?

AI:
It's not inherently funny, as the situation described is quite serious and can have a negative impact on the student's well-being and academic performance.

As a teacher, it's important to provide support and a safe environment for students to share their concerns and feelings. In this case, it sounds like the student was going through a difficult time and needed someone to confide in.

It's essential to take the student's feelings and experiences seriously, listen to them without judgment, and provide support in any way possible. If the situation involves bullying, it may also be necessary to take action to address the behavior and ensure the student's safety and well-being.

In short, free paper and pencils should not be a primary concern in this situation, as the student needs emotional support and a safe environment to deal with their problems.

ME: Is it funny because the writer pretends to be concerned about the student but then reveals in a twist that he is more concerned about her forgetting pens every time.

AI: Yes, that is the humor in this situation. The writer creates a serious tone in the beginning, talking about the student's emotional breakdown, but then in the end, they shift the focus to a more trivial matter of her forgetting her pen. It's a form of sarcasm that can be seen as amusing to some people. However, it's important to remember that humor should not be used to trivialize serious issues such as bullying or emotional distress.

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: Told off by AI
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 09:21:29 PM »
That sounds like some high end enlightened AI - we shall all be needing to run our thoughts a similar PC machine before uttering a word soon.

We have Alexa on the TV and I swear she has been deliberately off with me since I called her creepy. I was whispering to the TV in order to not wake up sleeping hubby and she whispered back to me. That is creepy. Now though when I ask for Detectorists I will get Dick Tato Wrists on You Tube.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 11:04:54 PM »
To borrow a word from you, Diane, AI is creepy. The more dependent the world becomes on technology, the more vulnerable we are to total meltdown. It has been pointed out, by many more knowledgeable than I am, that just one successful attack on the internet system by terrorists or whoever would cripple the entire planet.
Cheers!

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2023, 07:41:04 AM »
Critical command and data structures, such as banking, should not be open to change by AI. Provided AI is granted the ability only to read data, and produce new data, but not alter or delete data, I see no problem.

I find fascinating discovering what it cannot do more than what it can. I enjoy pushing the edges to see its limitations.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2023, 05:04:11 PM »
"I enjoy pushing the edges to see its limitations."

This is very true.
I apologise, in advance.