Author Topic: cartoon colours  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

cartoon colours
« on: March 10, 2023, 05:26:44 PM »
Were and are you cartoonists limited by the amount and type of colours you could use in print or online?

I woke up this morning wondering the differences between aquamarine and turquoise - but could easily find the answer online: "Aqua is light bluish green while turquoise is greenish blue colour"
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: cartoon colours
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 08:21:43 PM »
Diane, when Beau Peep started, it was in black and white! At that time, all strips were published in that format and it was a few years before colour came in. Being the writer, this wasn't really my side of things so I can't say what the full range of variations were available/possible. Maybe Tarks can help with this.
And thanks for clearing up the difference between aquamarine and turquoise---clear as mud!

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 07:00:45 PM »
Okay, let me try...

If Roger goes back a few years BP (Before Peep), he, like me, was working on comics that used the letterpress system of printing, which basically relied on a maximum of four colours of ink to produce all pages. Black was the starter, of course, and the only one needed for most of the comic pages back then.

Add in red, and you could produce what we called 2-colour pages, which actually provided you with a small range of colours when you factored in stippled (dots, rather than flat colours) strengths of the red and black inks, and you could create a brown effect.

Throw in blue and yellow, and you have a proper full colour Bash Street Kids spread!

Eventually, the letterpress comics were all replaced by 'photogravure' presses, printing much more vibrant colours on glossier paper, making the comics look more like magazines. Essentially still using those four inks, but calling them Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Key (black), just link yer modern inkjet home printers, and allowing for much more versatility (shades and gradients) in the coloured artwork.

Online, there are no limits though. I colour directly onto a screen these days, using the RGB (red green blue) mode, which offers you literally millions of colours to select from, especially if you are publishing the results on screen. If the work is to be used in print, however, some of the more vibrant screen colours aren't available. So, if I want to check, with a couple of clicks, I can convert the finished work into CMYK mode, and it will show me how the same image will look when it's printed on paper. It's usually pretty close, but some of the colours might be a touch duller. It rarely causes any problems though, and I usually leave that to the features desk people to worry about, and don't even check.

Just read all that back, and I'm quite impressed that I sound like I might know what I'm talking about.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 10:02:33 AM »
I'm trying to take all that in, Tarks. I've just come down with Covid so my brain isn't working too well! I can't say I'm feeling great but nothing horrendous so far. Hopefully, back to normal soon.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 04:50:17 PM »
I'm sorry to hear it. Is this your first time catching it?

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 04:57:32 PM »
Blimey, Roger - you don't want to be be trying to decipher my waffle if you've been hit by Covid! It can keep.

Stay warm, drink lots of fluids (water, if you run short of better stuff), and watch plenty of old Westerns.

Get well soon, auld pal!
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2023, 07:01:13 PM »
Thanks, guys. Yes, it's my first time. Certainly not pleasant but, as I said, nothing horrendous as yet. I'll test again in a couple of days and take it from there.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2023, 09:46:47 PM »
Now that you mention it Tarqs, I do remember seeing dots to colour in pages. I am glad that you can use all the colours that you like now, I suspected as much with the cartoons you show here but wondered if maybe there was a limit that you kept within depending who was displaying.   

Sorry to hear that you've got the vid Roger (that is what cool young people call it) - I would like to recommend a new out last year western "Old Henry" for you to watch during your convalescence. It seems like the western is making a comeback - I enjoyed the mini-series with Emily Blunt "The English" too.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 03:00:43 PM »
Checking in on how you are doing Roger. Any better?

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2023, 09:34:51 AM »
Yes, a little bit better, thanks, Diane. Eight days on from my initial test, I'm still coming up positive. I'll take another one either today or tomorrow and, hopefully, I'll have turned the corner. Still feeling a bit tired and washed-out and I'm half-deaf in my right ear but, apart from that, it's all hunky-dory! Seriously, I AM on the way to recovery.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2023, 02:10:04 PM »
Pleased to hear you are on the mend :-)

Hang in there.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2023, 04:33:30 PM »
I'm half-deaf in my right ear

Consult a doctor immediately in case it becomes permanent: they can determine whether steroids might help.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2023, 06:30:26 PM »
Negative test this morning. Feeling AND hearing better!

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2023, 07:53:28 PM »
Yay! I was a fellow 9-dayer, Roger. Delighted to hear you have the all clear!

Enjoy! :D
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2023, 12:08:58 PM »
Excellent! Good to hear.

Tarks, send me a message on Whatsapp. My phone was reset and I have lost your number.