Author Topic: May 5th  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

May 5th
« on: May 05, 2023, 06:07:33 PM »
Not only is May 5th a chance to have some Mexican food, but I see it is also National Cartoonist's Day.

Happy Cartoonist's Day to some of the nicest chaps on the planet.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Re: May 5th
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2023, 08:04:23 PM »
There are 'days' that promote Mexican food? Excellent! On behalf of all burrito-loving cartoonists, thank you, Diane!

This was my contribution for today - a reworking of something I first drew over a decade ago, completed whilst suffering a bout of Repetitive Ennui Syndrome listening to today's main talk radio topics (namely tomorrow's Coronation and the English Local Council Election results). I can't begin to tell you...... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2023, 03:08:35 AM »
You wouldn't believe how little fuss is being made in Canada over the coronation, the Feds are doing like one hour in the park, our Alberta Lieutenant Governor whose JOB it is to represent the crown, finally announced free entry to a botanic garden, some pipers etc but not until the 13th.

I am making a big fuss myself :-) Bunting and sugar cookies. Hubby is a grumpy non-royalist - but stuff him I say. 

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 04:42:01 AM »
This is my kitchen tribute to our Gardener King.

I am the only royalist I know, but i don't let that curb my enthusiasm.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2023, 12:53:52 PM »
The latest Private Eye has a "coronation special" out this week. The front page is basically white with large black lettering which reads "MAN IN HAT SITS ON CHAIR". That basically sums it up for me---I haven't watched a second of it.
Diane, I once happened to be in Denver when Cinco de Mayo was taking place. It seemed to involve hundreds of drunken young people singing and vomiting in the streets. I got quite homesick for Scotland.

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2023, 01:33:02 PM »
:D  The contrast is palpable in my immediate neighbourhood. This time last year, I was having to politely decline invitations from my neighbours to join in their 'garden party' in celebration of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. On the main day, there was bunting aplenty all round the courtyard, and people making merry, including one elderly neighbour who landed the part of actually dressing up as Her Madge and leading the festivities. Lots of food and alcohol was enjoyed by all those I watched from my window, and I was pleased they were having a good time.

Today... so far... absolutely nothing! Perhaps they're watching the telly and about to spring into action any minute, but there's been no pre-publicity of the street party like last year, and no-one's mentioned a thing. I'm off to watch my football team give Roger's a damned good thrashing this afternoon, with hopefully zero mention of obscene hereditary wealth and privilege all afternoon.

Times, they are a-changing... (but good on you, Diane!)
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2023, 08:25:26 PM »
You had to mention the football.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2023, 09:51:27 PM »
The latest Private Eye has a "coronation special" out this week. The front page is basically white with large black lettering which reads "MAN IN HAT SITS ON CHAIR". That basically sums it up for me---I haven't watched a second of it.
Diane, I once happened to be in Denver when Cinco de Mayo was taking place. It seemed to involve hundreds of drunken young people singing and vomiting in the streets. I got quite homesick for Scotland.

And some people wait a whole year to show a jar of mayonnaise in their sink on Facebook and think that will do for effort.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2023, 10:00:34 PM »
What I find amusing is that anti-monarchist husbands are not above eating the crown sugar cookies.

I made cookies thinking some of our kids would come home - but we are in quite lot of trouble in northern Alberta with wildfires. Highways are even closed. Hubby got to drive down a closed highway yesterday as he was volunteering driving a water tanker out to the firefighters and saw houses burned down. More than half the highway is out between us and two of our kids - something like 70KM of highway.

Scary times. I donated dog cages yesterday to the pet evacuation center and have offered up our spare bedroom today. Hopefully we will get the rain forecast for tomorrow.

I should say the whole of our local Indian Reservation was evacuated 1500+ people.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 10:05:12 PM by Diane CBPFC »

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2023, 09:43:34 AM »
That sounds terrifying, Diane. (The fires, not the cookies). Be safe and well done to you both for lending a hand.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2023, 03:03:51 PM »
Well since that post, a second fire started and we ourselves were put on standby notice - just the other side of the highway from us were put on compulsory evacuation.

I loaded up essentials and photos and prepped our dog crates ready to skedaddle if necessary, and slept in my clothes in case we got the knock on the door. The skies seem clearer this morning but the highway closure and two local fires are still reported as out of control. The situation is bad all over northern Alberta.

My one son coming from the south as he did, was able to come home so he was able to help out quite a bit. (he also ate a jar of crown cookies lol)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2023, 06:14:25 PM »
I've done an Albertan rain dance!

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2023, 09:05:15 PM »
I've just caught up, and am rain dancing also. I hope it torrents! Sounds awful. Keep us posted, Diane, as and when you can.

On a slightly lighter note, I can fully understand why the anti-monarchists are scoffing the cookies - principles should always take a back seat to home baking! They look delicious.

Back to a more serious note... Roger - I'm sorry! I was fully expecting to eat my words today, given the respective form of both teams of late. 1-0 may not normally be ranked as a "damned good thrashing", but from St Johnstone, it's a massacre... I was dreading yesterday, but in the end, it could only have been improved by a jar of Crown Cookies at half time.

Stay safe, Diane!
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2023, 11:12:19 PM »
Thanks for the rain dancing - it worked. :-)

It has been gently raining most of the day which will help a lot. Our two closest fires are still listed as out of control - the one with the evacuation notice for land just 300m away is called GWF023. Good news is that a larger fire stopping people going to the city is now under control and they have opened up the highway again. Firefighters from other provinces are flying in to help.

I am hopeful at this point but we do have a week of sunny weather forecast so if you guys wouldn't mind shaking your booties a little more...

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2023, 04:50:14 AM »
"much progress has been made and, at this time, not considered a threat to the public"

News tonight on our closest wildfire :-)