Author Topic: May 5th  (Read 2853 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: May 5th
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2023, 09:41:48 AM »
Still dancing with fingers crossed! Let's hope the danger has passed.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2023, 12:46:42 PM »
Great news indeed, Diane. I've toned down the dancing to a genteel shuffle, but ready to ramp it up again whenever required. Rather enjoyable, really.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2023, 05:00:39 PM »
I am hoping for the best at this point but still have go bags packed until the fire is officially out which could take days if not a week - its quite smoky today now that its stopped raining, but the wind has died down. The high winds the week leading up to the fires was a big part of the problem. There are still 103 active wildfires with firefighters flying in from other provinces to help.

Thank you for the rain dances - they are taken seriously here with 1500 Cree evacuated off the reserve
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2023, 11:01:14 PM »
Update on fire: things got a whole lot worse - not personally, we are in the same waiting around position we have been in, living just 300m from the mandatory evacuation line - however our town 13 KM south of us, were we would have evacuated TO was evacuated itself 3 hours ago, this is Valleyview if you are looking on a map.

It was quite a shock to hear the town was evacuated before us, it all depends on which way the wind blows. 

Anyway, I should think of packing up my Beau Peep comic books just in case.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2023, 04:33:39 PM »
This is horrific! I had assumed/hoped everything was probably back to 'normal' after your previous couple of posts, at least in terms of threat level. 

I hope all is resolved very soon, Diane - I'm stepping up the rain dancing again. Please do keep us up to date as and when you can, and stay safe, whatever that entails.

I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2023, 02:39:19 AM »
Thanks Tarqs, until we actually get a notice it is hard to keep up preparedness as its been 10 days now. First you get notice to prepare, then you get a one hours notice, usually you get a day to prepare.

It is a little weird, our nearest emergency service or in fact any service is now 75km away, the highway going past us is practically silent. They had to evacuate two senior centers, a small hospital and 75+ dogs and cats that were being housed in town from the evacuation at the Indian Reservation the week before. The world has gone crazy around me, I'm planting tomatoes, peas tomorrow.

What else can you do. 

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2023, 06:03:34 PM »
things are looking hopeful that the fire is contained - they made a 11KM barrier between the fire and the town plowing up farmers fields etc

I am taking today off alert mode :-) 

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2023, 11:24:16 AM »
Good to hear, Diane, but I'm still dancing for now... well, shuffling my feet under my desk, at least.

These are worrying times. I'm currently looking out of my window at a beautiful sunlit park scene (could all change in 20 minutes - it's still that 'four seasons a day' time of year in Scotland). I can't remember ever before looking at such a glorious sight as a potential problem in the near future, beyond having to wear 'Factor Duffle Coat' sun cream and a hat.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2023, 05:56:32 PM »
And three days after being evacuated, the townspeople are being allowed home (on one hours notice) at noon - the fire wall seems to be holding but it is still listed officially as out of control.

Dreading the westerly winds on Friday, but if we survive that then we have FOUR days of light rain forecast :-)

I love the UK gardening shows (plants I can't grow here), they have been talking about moving to drought tolerant pants and trees in recent years. It is happening slowly, but its happening.

You may as well just wear the duffle coat Tarqs - it could get chilly later lol 

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2023, 03:15:48 PM »
I know it was a typo, and I'm being a tad childish, but I chuckled over the notion of "drought tolerant pants".

Fingers crossed and feet tapping for Friday!
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2023, 04:07:51 AM »
:-) - that should have been a xmas joke what with it having no L 

The official status of our two closest fires is still "out of control" but the NASA maps really show them beaten back and we have just had a nice amount of rain and a very rainy day forecast for tomorrow. Apparently Alberta has had the worst air quality in the world.

I am like 97% sure we are out of danger from evacuating but not unpacking the bags until the official status changes.

We went to the city today (first time I've seen the fire damage up close) by the reserve where the first fire first started (May 5) and the blackened ground has the most vivid green grass covering most of it - the carbon cycle at work.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2023, 10:06:57 AM »
Great news, Diane. I'd like to think that our rain dances helped! Fingers crossed that you're all now safe.

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2023, 10:44:44 AM »
I've always loved rain since I was knee-high to a hydrologist. Even more so now!

I've also always loved the colour-combo of vivid green against black. I remember playing football against a team that wore vertical green and black stripes when I was in my teens, and wanting to play for them just so I could wear that kit. I like that idea even more now too, after your moving example of the carbon cycle - you've always had a way with words, Diane.

Enjoy your rain, the grass, and your improving air quality!

I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2023, 02:03:07 PM »
Thanks both for the kind thoughts. I plan to slowly put things back to normal this week but I feel like I could sleep for a week after being on high alert since the 6th.

Its Victoria Day in Canada (yes, the British queen) so its the day I make strawberry tarts.  Victoria Day usually marks the end of the frost season so it is a big gardening and camping weekend.

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2023, 02:11:01 PM »
Yay! Happy Victoria Day, Diane!

I'm curious to know the connection between Queen Vic and strawberry tarts... but perhaps I shouldn't ask.
I apologise, in advance.