Author Topic: Top of the summer check in  (Read 308 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

Top of the summer check in
« on: August 17, 2024, 02:43:50 AM »
How is everyone doing?

I've been hours each week watering my garden due to drought - water from a pond the beavers kindly filled for me. I've been playing Pokémon like an addict and hanging out with all sorts of people I would not normally meet, and I went camping on my own in my vintage camper. Hubby supports my camping i.e. he put a solar panel and back-up camera on it but hates camping himself. 

Cute story - people are interested in my old camper van, one site the little girl in the next site who was playing lawn croquet with her family said hello to me as I set up, then she asked "if we become friends can I sleep on the top part" lol I was mostly on a visiting my relatives loop so had a nice time. 

Thinking about fall, gathering in stuff and no kidding there are Christmas items in the stores already!
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Top of the summer check in
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2024, 07:37:56 PM »
Where I live, Diane, we're still waiting for summer to start and I ain't optimistic. In June, July and August---at some stage---we've put our central heating on. I don't recall anything like that in previous years.
Lovely story about the little girl at the campsite. It sounds as though you've had a very nice summer. Cute kids AND sunshine!

Offline ZestyWhite

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2024, 09:56:24 PM »
In the intervening years since my last appearance on here, I have relocated to Peterhead in Aberdeenshire. It can often be sunny, but the low air temperature and incessant stiff breeze mean that, even on nice days, you usually need a jacket to hand.
To echo Roger, it has been particularly bad this year.

I feel your husband and I are kindred spirits Diane. My wife and kids are camping enthusiasts. I usually help them pack the car, dish out hugs and best wishes as they prepare to depart, and then go back in the house to enjoy sole use of the remote control and my own bed.
I'm blaming a troublesome back and canvas-related claustrophobia, but I think I've just become a grumpy old man...

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2024, 12:55:23 AM »
Welcome back Zesty White!

Sorry that you both have had chilly summers, maybe you will get a week or two warm weather yet when it turns to autumn and the world tilts again.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2024, 09:57:15 AM »
Yes, welcome back, Zesty! And welcome to the "grumpy old man with a troublesome back" club!

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2024, 07:06:02 PM »
As the years go by more and more flowers show up in my veggie beds. The poor onions started flowering to compete for my attention.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2024, 08:53:27 AM »
Another lovely photo, Diane. I don't recognise the background. Oh, wait---it's blue sky!

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2024, 03:15:56 PM »
Those Lemon Queen sunflowers must be 10+ feet tall - I feel like a little fairy creature walking between them. Amazing to me that they were just seeds only 3 months ago.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2024, 05:09:58 PM »
I only found out yesterday that Andy Capp has a son. He kept that quiet.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buster_Capp
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2024, 10:31:49 AM »
Yes, he was created for a children's comic. I seem to recall that Reg Smythe wasn't happy about it. The "son" was never mentioned in the newspaper strip.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2024, 03:59:49 PM »
Yes, he was created for a children's comic. I seem to recall that Reg Smythe wasn't happy about it. The "son" was never mentioned in the newspaper strip.

I wondered if perhaps he was illegitimate and never spoken of due to the shame.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2024, 07:05:11 PM »

I wondered if perhaps he was illegitimate and never spoken of due to the shame.

Andy Capp felt shame? lol 

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2024, 10:59:12 AM »
'Buster' was the comic, as well as the name of the son who fronted the whole thing.

But he didn't only have a son, he had a WORM (also in Buster comic), drawn by some geezer I've never heard of before...

I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2024, 03:55:41 PM »
When was that written Tarqs? Good drawings, cute little capped worm but the language seems 1940s?

Offline ZestyWhite

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2024, 01:15:30 PM »
That's how we all speak over here...