Author Topic: Describing cartoons  (Read 8415 times)

Malc

Describing cartoons
« on: November 25, 2007, 02:19:38 AM »
I always say that if a cartoon gag idea works, it can be described, you don't have to draw it.

I'm going to describe a couple here and you lot can tell me if they work.

There's another angle to this, if you can bear it. Sometimes, one idea kicks you off in a similar direction, so I've written two versions of the same joke, and a third version which slingshotted off the first two. The second version requires you to know that Crocodile Dundee is played by Paul Hogan.

1) A cat and a dog are canoodling in bed together. The cat's husband, obviously just home from work,  surprises them. He glares at his wife and says: "is that all you can say - 'miaow'"?

2a) An iconic Aussie bushman is sitting at a dinner table. He holds up an outsize, odd-looking utensil. A speech balloon above his head has him saying: "Nah, that's not a spork. THAT'S a spork"
The strapline reads; 'This was the last time Marie would ask Crocodile Dundee to her mother's.'

2b) An ageing comedy actor is sitting at a table alongside a drunk lady who is saying "That's not a spoon, THAT's a spoon".
The strapline reads "Paul Hogan was getting tired of his public"

2c) A doctor and his patient, a revered Shakespearean actor lately reduced to taking a part in Lord Of The Rings, sit across from each other. The doctor is declaiming theatrically "It shall not pass!"
The strapline is: "Sir Ian McKellan failed to see why his constipation was a source of amusement."

3) A workman has pulled a cupboard away from the wall to reveal a huge hole behind it. He is saying to the householder (a woman) "this is where they're getting in".
The strapline reads: "Mrs Thewlis was shocked to find she had rhinos"

That'll do for now.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Re: Describing cartoons
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 09:21:43 AM »
Not sure, Malcolm. Can we see pencils?
I apologise, in advance.

Malc

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 10:09:29 AM »
Well bang goes THAT theory..

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 10:41:39 AM »
I loved the "spork" gag----I'm not even sure it needs a strapline. It's such a famous scene that most people will remember it.
I was once asked to write some cartoons on a space theme for a children's annual. This was round 1978/79. I sketched an astronaut standing at a counter in a N.A.S.A. canteen. The woman serving him is saying "May the forks be with you".
The editor looked at it and said " Well, it makes sense now but, remember, it will be a year before this appears. Everyone will have forgotten "Star Wars" by then".

Malc

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 02:11:12 PM »
I've been down that road too, I have a gag (tried to upload it but my weblog site is totally duff) which is a forerunner of the ideas on this thread, showing a bemused Luke Skywalker at a very posh dinner party hearing a disembodied voice saying "use the fork, Luke..."

Malc

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 01:24:42 PM »
I've been forced (due to total lack of co-operation from you lot) to actually draw up one of the ideas.

I STILL don't know if it works. All I know is it made me laugh the instant I thought of it, and never afterwards, same as everything I've ever drawn..

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 01:35:18 PM »
Is miaow a question?

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 02:04:39 PM »
VERY funny---and I love the touch with the discarded dog collar on the floor.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 02:46:03 PM »
I only asked for pencils.

Love it!
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 03:07:40 PM »
I love the discarded dog-collar too, but I was confused about the joke because I thought it was an OWL and a dog in bed. I was wondering why one of them would say "miaow". (I had to go back to your earlier description).

It's a great drawing anyway.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Vulture

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 03:10:44 PM »
I love the discarded dog-collar too, but I was confused about the joke because I thought it was an OWL and a dog in bed. I was wondering why one of them would say "miaow". (I had to go back to your earlier description).

It's a great drawing anyway.

Peepmaster - an OWL and a DOG; how sick can you get!

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 03:25:03 PM »
I love the little feet poking up.

Why do we assume the dog is male and the cat is female?

Malc

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 09:46:41 PM »
Interesting point about the owl.
Everyone else is already aware that the "female" character in the bed is a cat, so I might need to make her eyes smaller.
I made them big so that she would look more female.

And surprised.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 10:28:49 PM »
I must have been thinking sub-conciously about the Owl and the Pussy Cat and Huckleberry Hound.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Fyodor

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 10:16:13 AM »
I must have been thinking sub-conciously about the Owl and the Pussy Cat and Huckleberry Hound.
Come on Mince - spelling! Come on!