Author Topic: Beau Peep trivia challenge  (Read 182242 times)

Tom

Re: Beau Peep trivia challenge
« Reply #615 on: April 20, 2010, 07:01:01 AM »
 :-[ I'm beginning to feel it's me. I hope it's not me, as I haven't done the quiz for a while. At least I don't think I have.  :-[

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #616 on: April 20, 2010, 08:23:05 AM »
Relax, Tom - definitely not you.  ;D
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #617 on: April 20, 2010, 03:31:54 PM »
Has no one been hung, drawn and quartered yet?

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #618 on: April 20, 2010, 03:52:16 PM »
Don't you mean "hanged"?  ..0
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Jack

« Reply #619 on: April 20, 2010, 04:13:11 PM »
"The distinction between hanged and hung is not an especially useful one (although a few commentators claim otherwise). It is, however, a simple one and easy to remember. Therein lies its popularity. If you make a point of observing the distinction in your writing you will not thereby become a better writer, but you will spare yourself the annoyance of being corrected for having done something that is not wrong."

- Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage, 1994

Tom

« Reply #620 on: April 20, 2010, 07:26:15 PM »

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #621 on: April 20, 2010, 09:09:49 PM »
but you will spare yourself the annoyance of being corrected for having done something that is not wrong."

So it's official? Peepmaster is an annoyance?

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #622 on: April 20, 2010, 09:47:18 PM »
but you will spare yourself the annoyance of being corrected for having done something that is not wrong."

So it's official? Peepmaster is an annoyance?

Come on, Mincey. You're the first person to pick up on someone's mistake. I know your resort to the "vernacular" argument, but that's a school boy error.  ..0

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #624 on: April 21, 2010, 09:36:53 AM »
Sorry to be a pain, especially to those who participated in the quiz.  I was trying an experiment and it succeeded.
Bye.

Vulture

« Reply #625 on: April 21, 2010, 09:57:01 AM »
 :D :D :D :D :D

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #626 on: April 21, 2010, 09:59:51 AM »
Sorry to be a pain, especially to those who participated in the quiz.  I was trying an experiment and it succeeded.
Bye.

Now look what you've done, Tarquin! You've upset him. You're unbelievably unsubtle and heavy-handed sometimes. You just couldn't leave it alone, could you?

:-*

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #627 on: April 21, 2010, 11:54:53 AM »
Yeah, that's me, Mincey - bang to rights! Oh, well - in for a penny...

Experiment, Bill? What experiment? For those who have no idea what this is all about, what Bill's experiment consisted of was creating a new identity for the daily Beau Peep Quiz, namely 'Mikey', then having done the quiz under his own name, playing again as Mikey, with the slight added advantage of knowing all of the answers, and therefore getting all of the questions correct in superhuman times. If that's a successful experiment, Bill, then so be it - I have a different name for it. It's also something that any one of us could have done, and doesn't exactly require a degree in rocket science to work out how to do it. Yes, it's only a fun quiz, but it's enjoyed by everyone who participates in it, and I suspect there's a very healthy competitive strand that unites all the players - it ceases to be quite so much fun when someone decides to "experiment" on it, and I wonder just how long this experiment would have run had you not been rumbled?

It's disappointing enough that you chose to do this, Bill, but the manner in which you 'explain' it deepens that disappointment considerably. You've had ample opportunity till now to come up with a decent explanation, and perhaps make light of it all, since I posted my initial 'Mikey' comments on this thread, hoping to tempt you to do so. But rather than do that, you brought Mikey into further action on the quiz, and kept shtum. Then, when you couldn't take the 'experiment' any further, you pick up your ball and go (I'm assuming that's what you meant by "Bye." - although we seem to have heard that before), with a couple of very brief lines, which give the appearance of qualifying your apology by justifying your actions as a 'successful experiment'. I'm sorry, Bill, but that's the kind of childish response that I would never have let any of my children get away with. I'd like a bit more than that, if you please.

There you go, Mince - now your last post makes sense.

I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #628 on: April 21, 2010, 12:16:07 PM »
Tarquin, I was just winding you up about finding yourself, in the position of admin, having to deal with this.

I agree with what you say.

I would add that the Beau Peep members are notorious for messing around with things - well, I am, with all the jokes we have played on Roger through the board and with private forums - but I guess in those instances I did have others who were in on (and could informally sanction) the joke.

I too would like a little more from Bill. If it was just him being unthinking and stupid, telling us at least would be good.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #629 on: April 21, 2010, 12:17:35 PM »
Neither of you are REAL policemen.  :\