Author Topic: Beau Peep trivia challenge  (Read 182183 times)

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Re: Beau Peep trivia challenge
« Reply #735 on: June 13, 2010, 08:41:11 PM »
Tarks, if I was winning the quiz I could see your snark point, but I'm not, I frequently lose (individual rounds and monthly competition) and don't mind contributing, despite that.
 If you're making a unilateral decision to change the nature of a competition which I enjoyed and which has more or less had the same flavour the entire time I've been taking part, I'll dib out, thanks, but don't make it sound like I'm taking my ball and going home. To paraphrase George Costanza, it's not me, it's you.

Oh, come on, Malky! Look at the stats - you've been runner up for the past three months, in the top three for five of the past six months (and fourth for the one you missed). You may not have actually won the quiz in that time, but you aren't doing half badly. I changed the quiz for a couple of days after a complaint (one that had been expressed before) was made about its US bias. Unexpectedly, it seemed to be quite a popular move among some of the regulars, so I prolonged it a little and varied the questions.

Now, it takes me more time to do this, so I'm not desperate to make it a regular event, but if people are enjoying a little variety in this fun quiz for this month, I'm happy to see it through to the end of the month, changing the questions each day (I had thought that I was restricted to the dozen or so categories they allow you to choose from the drop down menu, but yesterday I discovered how to choose from many, many more subjects, hence the Filipino category).

Once the month is up, I shall revert back to set questions for the week (although Colin before me used to vary them from day to to day, albeit as a regular weekly routine, so what I've been doing isn't actually that new). But if this way of doing things proves popular (we may have another poll about it), then I see no reason why it can't happen every now and again.

Apart form any other benefit, it seems to have put Angela's budgie right off his stride.

And no, Malcolm - it's definitely you.
I apologise, in advance.

Jack

« Reply #736 on: June 13, 2010, 10:27:49 PM »
I got 4/10 in the quiz today, and every one of the ten answers I picked was a complete guess.

Additionally, if the quiz is about the Philippines, what was question 8 all about?

8. In season 1986/87, Dundee United reached the final of the UEFA cup. What was the aggregate score in the final, and who were United's opponents?

I mean, I don't mind guessing things to do with the Philippines, but obscure questions about some football team I've never heard of... that's just silly.

« Reply #737 on: June 13, 2010, 11:14:09 PM »
That was the only question I actually knew the answer to, Jack. I've no idea how it crept into the Philippines questions though - the Dundee United questions shouldn't be till tomorrow.

Incidentally, Malky is already well in the lead for this month.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #738 on: June 13, 2010, 11:23:49 PM »
I got 4/10 in the quiz today, and every one of the ten answers I picked was a complete guess.

Additionally, if the quiz is about the Philippines, what was question 8 all about?

8. In season 1986/87, Dundee United reached the final of the UEFA cup. What was the aggregate score in the final, and who were United's opponents?

I mean, I don't mind guessing things to do with the Philippines, but obscure questions about some football team I've never heard of... that's just silly.

Has someone been messing about?  I know I looked at 10 questions about the Phillipines (or is it Philippines?)(not a Dundee United mention in any of them - not even No 8)

And what happened to Lucy's score - unless she did not post it.  Why is the Peepmaster not participating, seeing as he should know so much of the subject, what with his travel business and all that.

Top 50 Scores So Far Today

Player                         Award   Correct   Seconds
1. Malky                        + 8 pts       6              66
2. bilthehut                   + 7 pts       5              61
3. MMCF                        + 6 pts       5            107
4. MincyPoo                  + 6 pts       5            110
5. Jack                          + 6 pts       4              65
6. Tarquintessential      + 5 pts       4            112
7. Lil                              + 5 pts       3              83
8. Tom                          + 4 pts       2            129

The subject of Sunday's quiz has definitely changed from the Phillipines to Dundee United.  And Monday's is also Dundee United.

Jack

« Reply #739 on: June 13, 2010, 11:42:27 PM »

Has someone been messing about?  I know I looked at 10 questions about the Phillipines (or is it Philippines?)(not a Dundee United mention in any of them - not even No 8)

Well, the question actually asked who "United" beat. The fact that it was referring to Dundee Utd was only evident from the question's 'header', the bit written in red above each question that denotes what quiz it was take from.

And what happened to Lucy's score - unless she did not post it.

Lucy is MMCF. She's on the list you posted. Also, Mincypoo is Diane, in case you were wondering.

The subject of Sunday's quiz has definitely changed from the Phillipines to Dundee United.
So it has. Odd, that.

And Monday's is also Dundee United.
Can't wait...  ..0

lucy

« Reply #740 on: June 13, 2010, 11:45:34 PM »
Ohh gosh, is it football tomorrow?

« Reply #741 on: June 14, 2010, 12:27:00 AM »
No, Lucy, it's 'Dundee United'.

Yes, I'm sorry the quiz appears to have changed to Dundee United today. For technical reasons, I had to make the change before the Midnight deadline, which, being an American website, would be in the middle of the night over here, so I made it a short while ago, in the hope that everyone who wanted to play today, had already done so today, and would not therefore be answering questions about Dundee United for Sunday's quiz.

All the questions have been set so that everyone should get the same ones, although there have been some glitches in the past regarding this. I think I have fixed the problem that saw a Dundee United question cropping up in today's quiz, but I do not understand why Bill should not have got that question when it looks like everyone else did.

Anyways, I'm getting a little weary of all this now, so I may well abandon the planned month of varying the questions and go back to a fixed set for every day.

The other option is for someone else to take over running the quiz. It needn't take up too much of anyone's time (unless you want to do what I've been doing this month). Any takers? Perhaps my stint as caretaker manager should come to an end now.
I apologise, in advance.

Malc

« Reply #742 on: June 14, 2010, 04:25:05 AM »
Yes, I do agree with Angry Of Cheltenham's stance on the US-bias questions, but I was prepared to accept the occasional baseball curveball as part of a US-based site.

My peeve is that the quiz represented a wall I was trying to climb, and the enjoyment was in the challenge, even if that challenge was simply trying to fire off answers in a quicker time. Then I turned up at the playground and found the wall dismantled and replaced with a seesaw and monkey bars.
I didn't mind being second or third over the wall, I liked the wall. I don't like monkey bars.

I'm now top of the rankings undeservedly, because it's a lottery and I guessed more than anyone else.

« Reply #743 on: June 14, 2010, 08:04:51 AM »
Okay, this is all getting too silly now. I've just taken today's quiz, and found the questions were an even mixture of Philippines and Dundee United, and the problem I thought I'd cured seems to now be worse. I was about to change it all back to the old set of questions when I noticed Diane has now also taken the quiz, and so that wouldn't be fair on her, so they stay the way they are for today at least.

Sorry, Malky, but if you think that firing off the answers quicker than any better a test of the player's skill than the past few days, I have to disagree. As you yourself have pointed out in your occasional in-depth analysis of our little fun quiz, even if you know the answer to every question in an instant, your time can be affected by the equipment you're using, the vagaries of the Internet itself, or even distractions from within your own environment.

It is also quite possible to 'learn' almost every answer to a particular category, by spending inordinate amounts of time 'practising' the quiz on the quiz site - as we all know (those who do the quiz regularly) questions are finite, and often repeated. Eventually, you could get to the stage where speed is the only real issue, and I suspect that may be the case with Angela's parakeet since it has almost certainly joined the quiz having looked for 'similar quizzes' on the site, and knows absolutely zip about Beau Peep. In such cases, it ceases to become a lottery and instead becomes a certainty that one player will win every time. For me, a lottery is more fun than that any day (I don't expect a ManU/Celtic fan to necessarily understand that point of view, of course). It's not cheating, but it is a little frustrating, not to say boring, for those who like to play as a fun extension of our happy little club, albeit a competitive one. Varying the questions so that it isn't the same category each time appears to combat that scenario quite well.

Anyway, as I said - I'm happy to have done my stint now. Who wants the reins? Malc?
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #744 on: June 14, 2010, 09:16:46 AM »
I've never done the quiz Billy the Hut, but maybe I should start... I believe Lucy's signed me up.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Jack

« Reply #745 on: June 14, 2010, 09:47:52 AM »
Today I correctly guessed two answers about Dundee Utd, and two answers about the Philippines.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #746 on: June 14, 2010, 12:23:45 PM »
Today I correctly guessed two answers about Dundee Utd, and two answers about the Philippines.
I only got 3 right, so you must have more lucky pixie dust than me.

We do seem to have generated some 'heated' discussion over this quiz.  All we were commenting on was the excessive US-biased questions. 
TTIII has done a sterling job in admin'ing this site and should be congratulated for putting up with us all.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #747 on: June 14, 2010, 12:28:07 PM »
Bloody It system !!  They've taken our Internet link away, so I am using the official link (which removes stuff such as avatars and forbids other things - so much for progress)

Jack.  Thanks for identifying Lucy & Diane - I didn't have a clue.  Are you 'Jack'??

Jack

« Reply #748 on: June 14, 2010, 01:17:09 PM »
No, I'm

*looks at list of winners for previous months*

"Calvin".

Yes. I had to use that name because somebody who is clearly much thicker than me had already taken the name "Jack".

« Reply #749 on: June 14, 2010, 02:04:21 PM »
No, I'm

*looks at list of winners for previous months*

"Calvin".

Yes. I had to use that name because somebody who is clearly much thicker than me had already taken the name "Jack".

Ah - I had my suspicions. Right, I'm cancelling the Doncaster Rovers questions.
I apologise, in advance.