Author Topic: Merry Christmas  (Read 9176 times)

Offline The Peepmaster

Re: Merry Christmas
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2007, 09:36:24 PM »
You can be a "hanger-on" on your days off from cartooning, Tranks.

I'd just like to extend wishes from the S.S.G.B.B.P.F.C.I.O.B.D. (Scottish Section of the Great British Beau Peep Fan Club, Isle Of Bute Division).
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Tom

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2007, 09:43:59 PM »
Now, are the C.B.P.F.C., G.B.B.P.F.C. and S.S.G.B.B.P.F.C.I.O.B.D. divisions of the D.D.D.D.D.D?

Joan

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2007, 10:01:54 AM »
Forgive me, it was late at night and I was imbibing a little just to alleviate the stress of presents still to be wrapped, decorations still to be put up, etc, etc - don't know where "hangers-on" came from - I meant fine, upstanding non-cartoonist members of this forum who also make me laugh.  :)

I did think later that there are actually only a few cartoonists who post, but if you look at the actual membership, I think there are quite a few who have joined, including the guy who does "Ginger Meggs", a famous Australian cartoon strip - can't remember his name at the moment, but will have a look at the Sunday paper later.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 10:09:49 AM by Joan »

Joan

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2007, 10:16:02 AM »
PS I'm never going to live this down, am I? Maybe I should ask Mince to change my user name to "biggest hanger-on of all", or "foot in mouth".  ;D

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2007, 10:29:43 AM »
I did think later that there are actually only a few cartoonists who post, but if you look at the actual membership, I think there are quite a few who have joined, including the guy who does "Ginger Meggs", a famous Australian cartoon strip - can't remember his name at the moment, but will have a look at the Sunday paper later.

Joan, you're thinking of James Kemsley. Tragically, James died less than three weeks go at the horribly early age of 59, after a lengthy battle with motor neurone disease. It didn't stop him from coming over to these shores a couple of years back with his young son, Sebastian, to attend the Shrewsbury Cartoon Festival. He was great company then, and I'm certain will be very fondly remembered at next year's event. A very sad loss to the world of cartooning and everyone who knew him.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2007, 10:48:45 AM »
My thoughts entirely.
James shared my fascination with the Old West and the Little Bighorn and we exchanged views on this as well as cartoon-related topics. We had hoped to meet up when he came over but I just couldn't make it....something that makes me doubly sad.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2007, 01:42:55 PM »
I never met James, but had email communications I remember. His enthusiasm for the art and associated gatherings, clubs, newsletters etc was infectious. A top man.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Joan

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2008, 11:53:22 PM »

Joan, you're thinking of James Kemsley. Tragically, James died less than three weeks go at the horribly early age of 59, after a lengthy battle with motor neurone disease. It didn't stop him from coming over to these shores a couple of years back with his young son, Sebastian, to attend the Shrewsbury Cartoon Festival. He was great company then, and I'm certain will be very fondly remembered at next year's event. A very sad loss to the world of cartooning and everyone who knew him.

That's awful news, I didn't realise.  I'm sure it would have been reported in the news here, but I was probably in NZ when it happened.  Ginger Meggs is still being signed "Kemsley", so perhaps his son is doing it now.  I always read Ginger, Hagrid, Blondie and For Better or For Worse in the Sun Herald.  It's become a bit of a ritual, where I read them before I read the actual paper. Ginger reminds me a bit of Oor Wullie in an Australian setting.