Author Topic: I Will Always Love You. (Er...the song).  (Read 3078 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
I Will Always Love You. (Er...the song).
« on: December 21, 2007, 10:21:19 PM »
As I'm working late tonight, I thought I'd stick some YouTube Christmas songs on my laptop. I seemed to remember Whitney Houston, sitting in the snow, belting out the above song and decided to give it a go. On further investigation, I discovered that her version had 8 million hits as compared to the half million achieved by the wonderful writer of the song, Dolly Parton. There's no comparison! Dolly's original is a beautiful, understated song about true love. Whitney's is a lip-quivering, I-can-sing-louder-than-anyone, emotionless scream. I thought I'd share this with you.
Anyway, Slade still have the best Christmas song ever.

Vulture

Re: I Will Always Love You. (Er...the song).
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 11:12:30 PM »
As I have been working late, but am now going for my much needed beauty sleep, I will just agree with your first two points but beg to differ on the last one. Marmite and cobblers (Goodnight and God-bless).

Online Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 12:03:12 AM »
I've been working late an awful lot lately, but tonight I really can't be a*sed. And since I'm in such a rebellious mood, I'm going to disagree with both of you. Whilst I'll happily concede that Ms Parton is as wonderful as stated, and almost universally popular (she does have her knockers), Ms Houston's version of the song in question, as performed in 'The Bodyguard' is simply awesome. Power with supreme control, in my book, and charged with great emotion. I'm wondering if you clicked on the Krankies version by accident, Roger?

Best Christmas song ever is Mud's 'Lonely This Christmas'. I snogged Lesley Henderson from start to finish of that one, at our High School dance in 1976. She was trying to make her boyfriend jealous. It was worth the kicking, believe me!
I apologise, in advance.

Malc

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 12:07:46 AM »
Now there is a tragedy. A woman as gifted and talented as Dolly, forced to adopt an Ellie May physique with enhanced boob implants (and she was pretty big to begin with!) to get attention in the country music biz.

I suppose there have been equivalents in mainstream rock/pop, with Alice Cooper and Marilyn Manson trying to create an image bigger than their actual talent, but Dolly is a woman of genius status, and shouldn't have had to.

I admire the way she has maintained her hillbilly image whilst being a consummate songwriter and deflected accusations of lesbianism (she is gay, by the way. Oprah too).

Vulture

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 07:46:58 AM »
Now there is a tragedy. A woman as gifted and talented as Dolly, forced to adopt an Ellie May physique with enhanced boob implants (and she was pretty big to begin with!) to get attention in the country music biz.

I suppose there have been equivalents in mainstream rock/pop, with Alice Cooper and Marilyn Manson trying to create an image bigger than their actual talent, but Dolly is a woman of genius status, and shouldn't have had to.

I admire the way she has maintained her hillbilly image whilst being a consummate songwriter and deflected accusations of lesbianism (she is gay, by the way. Oprah too).

No! I didn't know that! (We need an awestruck/shocked emoticon here - Mince, can you oblige?)

Online Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 09:36:37 AM »
 :-* :-*

He's pullin' yer chain, Vult!
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 12:32:10 PM »
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 01:28:37 PM »
I imagine that Malc discovers that many women are lesbians.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 01:42:42 PM »
 ;D

Diamond Lil

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 08:00:47 AM »
I imagine that Malc discovers that many women are lesbians.

I actually laughed out loud at that, Diane, and it's still early morning...looks like it could be a good day!

Malc

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 04:17:21 PM »
Diane, that hit below the belt. Yes, I do meet an inordinate amount of bearded taco munchers, but that has no way influenced my opinion of the smelly man-hating baby killers.

Vulture

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 04:39:14 PM »
Diane, that hit below the belt. Yes, I do meet an inordinate amount of bearded taco munchers, but that has no way influenced my opinion of the smelly man-hating baby killers.

You're a little harsh, Malc.

Malc

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 04:49:12 PM »
OK Vulch let me try this again.

that has no way influenced my opinion of the smelly man-hating baby killers.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;)