Author Topic: Women, and their place in this world.  (Read 17360 times)

Offline The Peepmaster

Women, and their place in this world.
« on: January 10, 2008, 11:48:22 PM »
"Women flew spitfires" - True or false?

Well (apart from those who saw "The One Show" on telly tonight), you're all wrong, because it's true! They really did.

I've just been watching darts on BBC, and there are two women in the final (the women's final of course), and they're not bad lookers. I think the final is on tomorrow if anyone wants to have a look.

Whatever next? Anyway, I love 'em all (the gorgeous ones especially), so good luck to them.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Malc

Re: Women, and their place in this world.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 01:44:05 AM »
It's always been my gripe that women complain about the glass ceiling and want more females in excutive roles, but don't campaign to get more women down the mines or sewers.

This is quite a serious issue, as the reason men are over-represented in full-time executive roles is because they're over-represented in full-time shite-shovelling roles too. They cross the whole gamut of employment.

I've worked for bad female bosses as well as males, but the two good female bosses I had were both lesbians. Go figger. The bad men bosses were at least straight with you in a David Brent way, but the bad female bosses plotted and were extemely sneaky, trying to skew results to benefit their favourites, convinced that they were too clever to be found out.

I feel sexuality was a key factor in the performances of both the bad male AND female bosses, but in the case of the females it was suppressed and ultimately more dangerous. The bad males were just ridiculous in their barely concealed sexism and insulting behaviour to women, the bad females were very proper, but over-compensated by instilling a puritanical regime where touching was outlawed.
One woman lost the plot completely at one point and put up a list of do's and don'ts.

We found out after her marriage broke up she had been having an affair with a co-worker, a very uptight, morally superior bloke who wouldn't say boo to a goose and who never took part in any of the office jollities.

Vulture

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 07:51:07 AM »
It's always been my gripe that women complain about the glass ceiling and want more females in excutive roles, but don't campaign to get more women down the mines or sewers.

This is quite a serious issue, as the reason men are over-represented in full-time executive roles is because they're over-represented in full-time shite-shovelling roles too. They cross the whole gamut of employment.

I've worked for bad female bosses as well as males, but the two good female bosses I had were both lesbians. Go figger. The bad men bosses were at least straight with you in a David Brent way, but the bad female bosses plotted and were extemely sneaky, trying to skew results to benefit their favourites, convinced that they were too clever to be found out.

I feel sexuality was a key factor in the performances of both the bad male AND female bosses, but in the case of the females it was suppressed and ultimately more dangerous. The bad males were just ridiculous in their barely concealed sexism and insulting behaviour to women, the bad females were very proper, but over-compensated by instilling a puritanical regime where touching was outlawed.
One woman lost the plot completely at one point and put up a list of do's and don'ts.

We found out after her marriage broke up she had been having an affair with a co-worker, a very uptight, morally superior bloke who wouldn't say boo to a goose and who never took part in any of the office jollities.

I think you may have been unlucky - but, as you know, it takes all sorts and you seem to have found them all!

I have often wondered why the 'underlings' don't band together and sort out the problem.

Malc

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 11:19:35 AM »
Vulch, my experiences were over a few different types of jobs, from supermarkets, warehouses to art studios. It's amazing , as one gets older how "types" become more and more visible.
It was more fun when I was young, when I didn't have the ability to pick a bad 'un from a good 'un, but now I can spot a chancer or a user (or a bad boss) from a hundred metres away.

It certainly saves time, you're spared the weeks or months of dancing around while you figure why this guy can't give you a straight answer or why this woman won't look you in the eye, and your own sexuality is less of a factor too. As an older person you have developed coping strategies and a quiver of first rate excuses that prevent you from fully confronting idiots and keep you out of trouble.

I do make light-hearted jest at lesbians expense, because I know and have known many gay women, all of whom I got on with. The real trouble stems from spurned heterosexual women, or female bosses in unhappy relationships who bring their problems to work.

I work with a number of women "bosses" at the moment in the form of editors, and imho the best syndicate head is a woman, namely Amy Lago at WPWG, who has been very supportive of my work, much more than any male exec.

I was at a party over Christmas and the talk got around to peoples' workplaces. All the women, without exception, said that they would hate to work in an all female team. They actively sought male company as often as possible and felt they needed men.

Many of the guys already worked in all-male environments and didn't want things to change. The ones who worked in mixed workforces tended to stick to male company during their work breaks, etc.

I found all this fascinating, and it reinforced to me my feeling that the real glass ceiling is one which women have installed and maintain.

Vulture

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 01:14:23 PM »
It all sounds too complicated for me, Malc. In my working life I only had one bad experience: a younger woman who had been there some time and, I think, saw me as a rival to her authority. Being generally laid back, I just let her get on with her bossing until one day I 'cracked'. My working life became a little easier but then improved considerably when I was made redundant! From that time I became self-employed and I could be bossy as I liked.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 01:20:26 PM »
I utterly respect women, and actually think it's quite nice to have a bird or two about the place. I do enjoy my own company, yes, but it can also be quite reassuring, and comforting, to be relaxing in front of the telly with a drink, hearing the clinking of pots and pans being washed up after a splendid meal.

A Woman

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 04:44:42 PM »
 ::) Only in a heavily male populated forum.......!!!!!!  ::)

I've been down the sewers! Okay, lets not go there!

Nigel, nigel, nigel!!!!! words fail!  ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 04:55:41 PM by Tarquin Thunderthighs lll »

Vulture

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 04:53:37 PM »
I utterly respect women, and actually think it's quite nice to have a bird or two about the place. I do enjoy my own company, yes, but it can also be quite reassuring, and comforting, to be relaxing in front of the telly with a drink, hearing the clinking of pots and pans being washed up after a splendid meal.

Laying aside the fact that I'm probably too old for you - you certainly wouldn't get such delights in my house!  ;D ;D

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 06:43:11 PM »

Why was this post edited by a man????

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 06:52:11 PM »
I would like to know that as well. Perhaps she revealed something about him.

Vulture

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 06:57:33 PM »

Perhaps AW was busy making dinner and asked Tarquin to make the necessary correction...

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 07:08:29 PM »

Perhaps AW was busy making dinner and asked Tarquin to make the necessary correction...

I'm glad she asked. Good manners becomes a lady. Well done, AW.

A Woman

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 07:56:29 PM »
Tarqs was hogging the kitchen table with his laptop, whilst I was cooking tea.... or rather the tea he cooked the evening previous, but made too much and I was merely warming it up. He commented that my first smiley wasn't smiling and was needing a bit of 'space' to make it work! Tarqs being all powerful and such and having the power of a moderator meant he could do such a thing. So he fixed it. However, in doing so added to my post  a footnote that he had changed/amended it.

No mystery, nowt rude or bad...... he just made my smiley smile. What a nice man!

Sorry to disappoint :).

Oh.... It was spag' Bol' our recipe  ;)

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 08:15:59 PM »
Can I just say how lovely you look in that new photo on the other forum, AW?

Personally, I think it's great when an attractive bird does herself up to help herself look gorgeous. Okay, it can delay the departure time when going out, (what with putting the "slap" on etc.,) but it's great to walk into a bar with a little trophy on your arm!

Gawd bless 'em.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 08:23:35 PM »
Nige, I know I've said this before but I bow to your bravery.