Author Topic: Questions for Roger Kettle  (Read 27819 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Questions for Roger Kettle
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2007, 10:24:22 AM »
Shaqui, I spoke to the former Beezer editor last night. (Alan Digby---he remembers being in contact with you some years back.)
The editor in the mid-sixties was Bill Swinton. We're still trying to find out if the Space Patrol series was written "in-house" or bought in from outside. Will let you know if I find the answer.

Shaqui

« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2007, 03:59:08 PM »
Shaqui, I spoke to the former Beezer editor last night. (Alan Digby---he remembers being in contact with you some years back.)

Hmmm... the name slips my mind  :-\  I recall a very helpful person by the name of Calum Laird of the DCT Syndication department, and Alan Digby doesn't immediately ring a bell but I do have a memory like a... you know... one of those things full of holes...  :P

The editor in the mid-sixties was Bill Swinton. We're still trying to find out if the Space Patrol series was written "in-house" or bought in from outside. Will let you know if I find the answer.

Thank you again Roger. Above and beyond the call of duty, and much appreciated.  ;D

Snoppy

« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2007, 02:31:46 PM »
I've just been reading Book 8 again and it's taken me 5 minutes to stop laughing at the strip where Colonel Escargot it dressed as a penguin. Have you ever looked back at your work and laughed that long at a single strip?

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2007, 02:53:53 PM »
Hi, Snoppy, and welcome to the board.

Strangely, (and no offence), I remember that strip and cannot recall it being funny at all. I did laugh at the one where he blindfolds himself to show he trusts his men, and Beau Peep is seen on one knee examining a mine and saying: "I don't know. It must be a dud." My dad is not too keen on the colonel either.

I guess different people find different things funny, which I guess says a lot about the range of humour Roger provides. I love some of the nomad's comments: "That's what I would have said if they hadn't opened fire."; "I wonder if I could smack him in the mouth before his men got me."; "Mummy!"

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2007, 02:54:45 PM »
Where are you from, Snoppy?

Snoppy

« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2007, 03:41:29 PM »
I'm from Harrogate in Yorkshire. I was never a fan of the Colonel when I was younger but recently I've been reading my collection and that particular strip just got me (it was his face that did it). Got every edition with the exception of books one and 3 (though just noticed them on ebay).

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2007, 03:55:07 PM »
Book 1 is expensive on Ebay.

Yes, some of the strips can just get you by the look on a face.

If you're a football man, you'll fit in well here. If not, you can take consolation in the fact that you are not the only one.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2007, 06:36:00 PM »
Welcome, Snoppy. I tend not to laugh at my own work when I look back at it. You'll find with most cartoonists that, when they look over old work, they usually see things that could have been done better. I do get the odd smile from a strip---but only because I have no recollection of writing it!

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2007, 08:39:13 PM »
I tend not to laugh at my own work when I look back at it.

I don't either, Roger.

Welcome, Snoppy. I desperately need to know how you came about your name. It's either something really fascinating, or a typo, Snoopy.

And congratulations - you've been here more than half a day and Mince hasn't insulted you yet (he's really hoping you don't like football, by the way - it could all change if you do).
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2007, 08:41:42 PM »
I'm having a bad day.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2007, 08:45:32 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D :D :) :-\  :( :( :-[            :-*
I apologise, in advance.

Snoppy

« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2007, 02:06:13 PM »
Nothing fasinating about my name I'm afraid, just an extension of my surname. Worsnop=Snop=Snoppy. No Typo. And I do like football, I'm a Leeds fan (laugh as much as you like, I'm used to it now).

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2007, 02:09:07 PM »
Just think, Snoppy: if you had not become a football fan, you could have spared yourself the humiliation.

peter

« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2007, 04:55:11 PM »
Just think, Snoppy: if you had not become a football fan, you could have spared yourself the humiliation.
You could not resist it could you Mince

I think your team were hard done by the FA I still think you will get into the play offs

Snoppy

« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2007, 11:06:50 PM »
With a start of -15?! Relegation to Mid Table at least I think this season. We're almost as bad as Dundee Utd. Still we've won 2 out of 2 for the first time in years things are looking up. Just been outbid on e-bay for book 3. It went for ?31. Why were books 1-3 out of stock so early? I can bet money on them been located in a car boot sale somewhere in the country going for 50p.