Author Topic: Another Charity Moan...  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Another Charity Moan...
« on: March 06, 2008, 08:05:15 PM »
Towards the end of last year, I wrote about how, because I contribute to two or three charities, I was being inundated with mail from other causes. I was particularly annoyed with the "here's a gift for YOU" approach. A couple of weeks ago, I was sent a pair of children's socks with a plea to send them, plus donation, back to the kids' charity involved. Today, I received a set of prayer beads and crucifix (complete with Christ) so that I could pray for children with leprosy while sending them my direct debit details. This whole new, hardline approach by charities is in grave danger of backfiring.  I hate to admit it, but more and more of these requests are ending up, unopened, in my bin.

Tom

Re: Another Charity Moan...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 08:22:32 PM »
Roger, the same thing is happening to my Mum... she is constantly receiving gifts. She got some of those beads the other week. She does donate to some charities, but still feels guilty when she doesn't donate to these others.

One time, an extremely well spoken gentleman telephoned her, and asked her to make a donation over the phone. She explained she was a pensioner, and gives to charities when she can. He slammed the phone down on her as she was speaking.

It is this hard-faced approach I find appalling. I wonder, as they treat people in this manner, if they are really that bothered about the charities they are supposed to be collecting for.

Grrrr.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 08:36:48 PM »
There are some who say "Charity begins at home". If you agree, send all your money round my place.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Vulture

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 10:02:54 PM »
There are some who say "Charity begins at home". If you agree, send all your money round my place.

No. 'Charity begins at home' means it doesn't leave to go to your house, it stays at mine.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 10:12:37 PM »
My home might need it more than yours.

peter

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 10:18:52 PM »
and mine might be bigger than yours

Vulture

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 10:29:49 PM »

I very much doubt it.... although, with a home owner like you, your home probably does need something but I bet it's not charity.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 10:33:39 PM »

I very much doubt it.... although, with a home owner like you, your home probably does need something but I bet it's not charity.

Perhaps we can negotiate.

Just send me 500 quid.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 10:35:02 PM »
and mine might be bigger than yours

Okay - maybe we can have a party round at Peter's. Or we could gatecrash Mince's place.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 12:06:20 AM »
Goodness me Roger - I hope you don't catch anything nasty from the gifts sent from those disease charities.  :o

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Vulture

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 06:26:18 AM »

Perhaps we can negotiate.

Just send me 500 quid.

I'd love to, Peeps. As soon as my pension reaches that amount, it'll be in the post!  :D

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 09:19:17 AM »
Just send me 500 quid.
I'd love to, Peeps. As soon as my pension reaches that amount, it'll be in the post!  :D

Don't be silly Vulture! There's no need to send me that money in the post. I accept PayPal now.

peter

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 09:23:47 AM »
Any Pal who will pay you Peeps is a friend of mine.

Fyodor

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 10:52:14 AM »
I made an official complaint Roger; the socks were a bit tight round the tootsies.

Malc

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 08:19:31 AM »
They were gloves.