Author Topic: The Annual Plea For Help.  (Read 5935 times)

Offline The Peepmaster

Re: The Annual Plea For Help.
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 11:59:18 AM »
I'm going to post something stupid now: Minc.... no, it won't let me complete it!
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Malc

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 12:01:27 PM »
Who was Dan Tucker? I just researched this article about a Dave Tucker, later known as Dan. He was a Silver City lawman, but I don't know if he's the one you're looking for

http://westernsbywilldavis.com/features.htm

Joan

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 12:11:31 PM »
I'm going to post something stupid now: Minc.... no, it won't let me complete it!

;D  :D  That's a "manual" quote, btw.  Poor Pilchardy, I'm sure all this is just because of the forum runner or whatever you call them.

Sorry again, Roger - back to Custer.  I'd better see if there are any questions left to google.

Joan

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 12:12:33 PM »
Poor Pilchardy,
Peeps, you are a very naughty boy! LOL!

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 12:49:27 PM »
Actually Minc is much maligned, but he did put a lot of work into creating the forum in the first place. I'll always be grateful to Minc for that much anyway.

Now, back to Roger's homework...

Joan

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 12:58:13 PM »
Roger, I think you may actually have to visit a library to find the correct answers to some of these. Shock, horror! Google doesn't seem able to cope - especially with "blolahunkal".  ??? 

Vulture

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 01:15:08 PM »
Roger, I think you may actually have to visit a library to find the correct answers to some of these. Shock, horror! Google doesn't seem able to cope - especially with "blolahunkal".  ??? 

I thought I'd cracked it and put 'blolahunkal' into google translator and clicked the 'I'm feeling lucky' button. I ended up with the Battlefield despatch website - scanned through 16 pages of bumf/bumph?? only to find the questions that Roger asked..... duh!

Vulture

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 01:19:44 PM »
I think it must be Crow or some other native American language. I can't find a site that'll translate into any known Indian dialects.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 01:20:30 PM »
It's actually "blolahunka" (without the "l" at the end - I checked on the quiz pdf which did show up on Google).

I just asked a mate of mine who's mending a door at a neighbour's house. He says a blolahunka was a curved instrument, made out of metal, that had bristles incorporated at one end, and a pointy bit at the other end. The pointy bit was for getting stones out of horses' hooves, and the bristle part was for brushing the dust and dirt off the feathers in the indian head-dress. It was named after Blola Hunka, who created the device by combining what had been two separate items into one implement. (Wikipedia)

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 01:29:24 PM »
He later went on to enlist in the Swiss Army, and...
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 01:57:30 PM »
I think it must be Crow or some other native American language. I can't find a site that'll translate into any known Indian dialects.

"Heap-big exterminate! You will be scalped. Exterminate! Wig-wam bam, gonna make you exterminated!"

Vulture

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 02:27:17 PM »
He later went on to enlist in the Swiss Army, and...

:D :D :D Although I did work for Victorinox, one of the two official makers of Swiss Army knives, and as far as I know, there isn't a knife with a feather brush as an attachment!

Vulture

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2009, 02:29:30 PM »

"Heap-big exterminate! You will be scalped. Exterminate! Wig-wam bam, gonna make you exterminated!"

;D ;D ;D

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2009, 02:54:48 PM »
I did that little Doctor Who reference to please M1nce.  ;)

Colin

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2009, 03:37:46 PM »
Myles Moylan and Charles Varnum survived the battle on Reno Hill. Moylan, four years later, was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for conspicuous bravery at the September 30, 1877 Battle of Bear Paw.