Author Topic: I Have Diabetes  (Read 7589 times)

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
Re: I Have Diabetes
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2011, 05:57:55 PM »
we're all doomed!

Vulture

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2011, 06:32:49 PM »
;D

I hope nobody sensitive is reading this.

Sensitive - on this board! You're joking!

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2011, 06:50:47 PM »
I already said that. Now I'm hurt.  :'(
I apologise, in advance.

Diamond Lil

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2011, 06:54:56 PM »
Yet again, Malky, listen to Di.  Get to your doctor and have your tablets adjusted...you're bound to feel yucky if your count is as low as 4.5

Malc

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2011, 09:20:21 AM »
OK I will, but I do wonder also if it's me who has gone overboard on a super diabetes-friendly diet which has left me bereft of energy?
I'm even hesitant to eat a banana after reading some reports.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2011, 11:58:34 AM »
OK I will, but I do wonder also if it's me who has gone overboard on a super diabetes-friendly diet which has left me bereft of energy?

It's probably the diet, the pills, and psychology. Why not tell the doctor you'll do the diet but not the pills?

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2011, 12:19:34 PM »
Drop the banana, Malc...  Put that banana down nice an slow...

I wouldn't bother with a diet anyway. I don't remember you as being particularly fat.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2011, 03:24:21 PM »

That could be it too Malc – the dietician will tell you that ½ a banana is a serving size – I do eat a small amount of sugar every day as mid afternoon I have one perfect square of dark Lindt chocolate with 5g of sugar (50 cals) and now and again (maybe twice a month) I will indulge in a small serving of a sugar sweetened desert.

I don’t eat many bananas or corn or peas – I really fill up on green salads, steamed cauliflower, carrots, cabbage, broccoli and enjoy the tasty veggies such as peppers, onions, tomatoes and mushrooms. One thing I try to do is have at least one meal fried in olive oil a day (usually my “tasty” veggies listed above with some lean meat) – but that is more for my weight loss – I find when I cut out oil then my body goes into starvation mode and the weight plateaus. Diabetics should not go on extreme calorie reduced diets – as a 5’ 7” woman I was instructed not to go below 1500 – your body needs regular healthy fuel now.  I imagine you should be eating quite a LOT of food, and because it is not calorie-laden bad food, you will probably need to eat more food in volume than you ever have.

On my first visit back to the doctor he said I was in his top 10% of diabetic patients then later visits I got bumped up to his top 5% of diabetic patients. This was good news as he did let it slip that 90% of his diabetic patients don’t give a crap.

It has been 9 months for me and I am still not balanced with my meds. You have to expect it to take a while – but your diet is in your own hands and you can work out a meal plan that you are comfortable with. I find it takes much more time out of my day cooking and eating and even the shopping and reading labels those first months. As the evening pills have to be taken with food – some days it is like “oh no, I have to eat again!” In bulk I am eating probably 50% more food but have lost 95lbs – all just smart food choices. I am going back in two weeks to work out my medicine with my Doc.

It is good that you are listening to your own body for clues. Do something nice for yourself today that has nothing to do with your diabeties.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Malc

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2011, 08:16:19 PM »
Do something nice for yourself today that has nothing to do with your diabeties.

I say, steady on...

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2011, 03:42:21 PM »
How are you doing Malc?
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2011, 10:47:55 PM »
And I'm doing good. I just got my meds cut in half over the next six weeks because I've lost so much weight.

Malc

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2011, 01:10:38 PM »
I'm doing a lot better, thanks for asking, Diane.

Doctor Wang said it wasn't the meds, it was my diet. He told me to report to his surgery nurse in a few days time, she would apparently give me a care plan .

I duly did and was given two sets of documents - one for blood tests and the other for a podiatrist vist.

I haven't bothered with either of them, I just started eating regularly, small portions of the right food (brown rice, wholemeal bread, turkey, etc) throughout the day, with an occasional jelly baby when I felt my skin get cold (a a hypo on its way).

Apart from the occasional head twinge, I feel great.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2011, 05:38:07 PM »
That sounds good Malc. That is what that poet does who I was talking about - she eats half her supper and the rest of it 3 hours later. A good idea if your basic diet is fairly health as yours sounds to be.

Do get your tests done though or we will all have to nag you until you do.

And once again thank god for jelly babies, Basil Brush had the right idea there.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2011, 06:05:12 PM »

That is what that poet does

That poet doth, surely?
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Diamond Lil

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2011, 06:48:10 PM »
Podiatrist is a good friend to have from now on, Malc