Author Topic: Happy New Year!  (Read 6449 times)

Rob Baker

Happy New Year!
« on: December 31, 2014, 05:53:46 PM »
As it's that time again, and just for a change from Beau, I thought I'd put up a 'New Year' Horace series (this one is from Dec'03).

Best Wishes and a Happy 2015 to Roger and Andrew and all the other fantastic nutters on this great site  ;)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Happy New Year!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 06:50:18 PM »
Rob, if you'd asked me when the Mirror shortened the title of the strip from "A Man Called Horace" to plain old "Horace", I would have said 4 or 5 years ago. Turns out it's at least 11. Yet another sign of growing old when time starts to fly. Ah, well!
Have a great New Year, everyone. I wish you health and happiness.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 03:57:21 PM »
Thanks for mentioning this post Roger or I would have missed the toons as I usually only visit the page through camel dung links.

This summer my then 86 year old aunt came over to Canada (again) and I took her to an outdoor concert at a rodeo with around 5000 people in attendance - the band was old people "The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band" but the audience was surprisingly very young to the point where most of the young cowgirls wore shorts so short you could see their butt cheeks.  I was like Horace holding our spots and our bags on a picnic table that my aunt and wangled her way into for us with a rowdy crowd near the stage - while she was off dancing near the front of the stage with all these young cowfolk, she would have got up to dance on our picnic table but her knees wouldn't allow it.

I must bore my aunt to tears, it hurts to see your life in a cartoon.  ;D
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Online Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 08:32:15 PM »
 ;D

You think you've got it bad? I'm the Nomad...
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 08:50:12 PM »
Is this where we all stand up and shout "I'm Spartacus"?

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 01:26:28 PM »
I enjoyed those cartoon strips, and also Diane's mention of girls' "butt cheeks".

Hope everyone on here has a fabulous New Year
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 04:14:54 PM »
Personally, anything with Granny in it is a winner.   :)

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 11:20:39 AM »
Rob, if you'd asked me when the Mirror shortened the title of the strip from "A Man Called Horace" to plain old "Horace", I would have said 4 or 5 years ago. Turns out it's at least 11. Yet another sign of growing old when time starts to fly. Ah, well!
Have a great New Year, everyone. I wish you health and happiness.
Didn't reducing the title lose the joke?

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 11:33:09 AM »
Yes, it did but loads of people never made the connection to "A Man Called Horse" anyway. The film doesn't appear to be quite as famous as I thought when I came up with the title.
The Mirror shortened it for reasons of space---they print the strip titles within the first frame and it just took up too much room.