Author Topic: Today's Andy Capp cartoon on the web.  (Read 15699 times)

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Re: Today's Andy Capp cartoon on the web.
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2007, 09:32:09 PM »
Keep an eye on Mr Maloney, Roger. I saw another of the strips recently where he had the word "and" twice in succession.

Actually, you can have the word "and" five times in a row.

Signwriter writes "Fish And Chips" above a shop. the owner comes out and says "Very nice, but you've left too much space between "Fish" and "And", and "And" and "Chips".

Now, had I written: "Very nice, but you've left too much space between "Fish"   and   "And",   and   "And"   and   "Chips", readers of this post could say that I have left too much space between "Fish" and "and" and "and" and "And" and "And" and "and" and "and" and "And" and "And" and "and" and "and" and "Chips".

That's 21 "ands" in a row.

Marvellous, Peepsie! If you were a dog, you'd chase your tail.

I've been to Conwy today. You should all go.
I apologise, in advance.

peter

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2007, 10:05:45 PM »

Been there, took a picture, had my camara stolen out of my car.
wont go there again.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2007, 11:59:30 PM »
You can?t blame Mahoney ? English is such a tricky language?

CH for Charlotte?s Chandelier
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2007, 02:17:05 AM »

Been there, took a picture, had my camara stolen out of my car.
wont go there again.

Well, we spent a lovely day there, Peter, without any negative incidents whatsoever. And we came home with lots of nice cameras.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 02:21:20 AM by Tarquin Thunderthighs lll »
I apologise, in advance.

Malc

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2007, 02:37:39 AM »
 ;D That made me laugh.

I've been to Conwy, Llandudno, etc, it was compulsory when you lived in Manchester, like the Haj.

Lovely areas. Bit dreich on the days I remember, but you could imagine it all looking nice when it was finished.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2007, 11:35:36 AM »
A lot of UK seaside towns are very run down now. Llandudno is one of the exceptions. It is quite smart and has an air of prosperity about it.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Malc

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2007, 12:35:01 PM »
Yes, it's improved since it became the UK's gay capital.

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2007, 12:39:21 PM »
Yes, it's improved since it became the UK's gay capital.

Really? When did it take over from Morecambe?
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2007, 06:09:51 PM »
Harumph...you guys been watching the football?

Malc

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2007, 02:07:13 AM »
I take it you're referring to beating the mighty Livingstone 1-0? It was only a friendly, so hopefully you played your second string squad. On the other hand maybe they did too.

Over here we've been enduring Australia's first foray into the Asian Cup, a pretty decent standard competition that the other Asian nations didn't want us in for the last twenty years. We got knocked out in the quarter finals against Japan, which went to penalties.

Previous to this, Australia has had to endure being the big fish in a tiny pool, that pool being the nations of the Oceania group, (Solomon Islands, Cook Islands, Tonga, etc) the only other half decent team being New Zealand, and I mean HALF decent. NZ traditionally put out a team of second rate ex nearly-professionals who had emigrated from the UK.

Australia, on the other hand have now got quite a few real deal top standard players and they were expected to win the Asia Cup, but no-one told Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Korea, Vietnam and the others, who behaved with disgusting lack of manners by playing brilliantly.

There were the usual stupid time-wasting tactics, but they were all at the instigation of imported coaches, from eastern Europe and South America.

The Asian Cup is the best thing to happen to Aussie football since they qualified for the World Cup, and I hope it helps develop better Aussie players (who of course will all then move to Europe).

You wouldn't believe this in the modern day and age but the Oceania cup competition (part of the FIFA qualifying for the World Cup) which featured Harry Kewell and Mark Viduka, was run from the front room of a bloke who lived in Auckland.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2007, 10:00:35 AM »
Actually, Malc, I was just parodying Steve Martin in "Trains, Planes and Automobiles" when he turned all macho after the atmosphere had become distinctly gay.

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2007, 10:36:17 AM »
I've never been to Morecambe. Just for the record.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2007, 11:01:20 AM »
Actually, Malc, I was just parodying Steve Martin in "Trains, Planes and Automobiles" when he turned all macho after the atmosphere had become distinctly gay.

I just want to point out that I got the joke, which is why I did not make a stupid answer about never watching football.

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2007, 11:05:45 AM »
And I manfully resisted posting the line "What did I miss, sweetie?", though I'm slightly ashamed to admit that, and I don't quite know why.
I apologise, in advance.

peter

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2007, 12:20:46 PM »
Harumph...you guys been watching the football?

I did not get the joke and yes I have been watching football and I think Iraq did brill