Author Topic: I'll be in Portugal...  (Read 9477 times)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Re: I'll be in Portugal...
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2016, 06:33:19 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ktmN0wvHQs

I was in tears and a coughing fit at this point.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2016, 07:51:34 PM »
 ;D
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2016, 10:05:15 PM »
I first saw this wonderful film in Amsterdam with Andrew. As I've mentioned before, we'd gone there for a few days back in 1975---after the break-up of Andrew's marriage---to try and work out  something we could collaborate on to secure some kind of future income. (It was there we decided to come up with a daily strip of some kind). Funnily enough, much as I enjoyed Young Frankenstein, I remember being desperate to see the movie that had been advertised to appear the following week. You'll probably never guess the title but it was about a large shark that terrorised the good people of Amity....

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2016, 11:49:57 PM »
Fantastic film. There's some great out-takes on YouTube, that I've watched several times now. Just looking at Marty Feldman cracks me up.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2016, 12:55:22 AM »
I went to see it at a matinee showing in our local Odeon, in the days long before they carved it up into a multiplex cinema. So this was a massive auditorium with many hundreds of seats and an upper circle. It was also empty, other than for a handful of people dotted around, and me...on my own, enjoying a skive off school (I was 15) and, I thought, a good laugh at 'the pictures'.

It was anything but. I was terrified. Not by the film, but by the fact that once I'd chosen my seat in the empty stalls, as equidistant as possible from the handful of others in attendance that afternoon (as you do), and settled down as the lights went out, the usherette - a towering manly figure of a woman, with more than a trace of malevolent psychosis in her eye (she had moments earlier sold me a Zoom from her tray, whilst displaying an unnerving leer) sat in the seat directly behind me. Dozens of empty rows - hundreds of empty seats, and she sat directly behind me. I tried to ignore her, but she her laughter was loud, and matched her look. But the worst part was that she laughed at all the bits that weren't funny, and not when she was supposed to. That completely freaked me out! She laughed at the wrong bits!

After about an hour of this, I escaped to the toilet, and didn't come out again until I heard the film's closing music, and made a run for the exit. I still don't know how the film ends, and remember precious little about the hour I did watch. But I'll never forget that usherette's face...or her laugh. If it wasn't an utterly absurd notion, I would suspect that she was on Mel Brooks's payroll...  :o :-\ ..0 :(
I apologise, in advance.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2016, 08:09:12 PM »
I also have a great film theater story. It involves a good mate, a German adult cinema and a pretty empty auditorium.

Mibbe for another time...

(y)

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2016, 12:41:44 AM »

Mibbe for another time...

(y)

Like the 70s.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2016, 07:53:53 AM »
The usherette probably did it to everyone. She probably had a bet going to see how long you would last. Or perhaps you were just in her seat.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2016, 08:01:36 AM »
Typical Portuguese helpfulness.

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2016, 08:53:37 AM »
Have they not deported you yet?
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2016, 02:58:36 PM »
I'm hiding under a hat.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2016, 10:26:35 PM »
Have they not deported you yet?

They tried. Englandshire refused to take him back. Apparently they invoked a little used Euro clause, "Last Coutry Keepsie"