Author Topic: Sherlock Holmes and Beau Peep  (Read 23224 times)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Re: Sherlock Holmes and Beau Peep
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2007, 09:57:39 PM »
Shall we settle it with a Harry Hill "There's only one way to find out . . . fight!"?

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2007, 09:59:36 PM »
It was Dick Francis' wife who did the research, I believe. I have never been much of a reader of books, but when I discovered Dick's books around twenty years ago, I was hooked. I read them all one after the other. I saw his latest one in Woolies last week and bought it. I was sad to see that it was the first he'd written for 6 years - he'd stopped the annual output following the death of his wife. I think that shows the input she had.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

peter

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2007, 10:02:55 PM »
Shall we settle it with a Harry Hill "There's only one way to find out . . . fight!"?

That is a typical kids reply

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2007, 10:10:36 PM »

That is a typical kids reply

I blame the parents.

Vulture

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2007, 10:33:10 PM »
It was Dick Francis' wife who did the research, I believe. I have never been much of a reader of books, but when I discovered Dick's books around twenty years ago, I was hooked. I read them all one after the other. I saw his latest one in Woolies last week and bought it. I was sad to see that it was the first he'd written for 6 years - he'd stopped the annual output following the death of his wife. I think that shows the input she had.

The point is, all that he didn't know was researched (by someone [whether it was his wife or not is a moot point] nonetheless, it was researched) and it enabled Dick Francis, the author, to pass on the information as if he knew it!!! In all likelihood, he immediately forgot all that he'd learnt once he'd committed it to paper, but the reader wasn't/isn't to know that.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2007, 10:35:47 PM »

The point is, all that he didn't know was researched (by someone [whether it was his wife or not is a moot point] nonetheless, it was researched) and it enabled Dick Francis, the author, to pass on the information as if he knew it!!! In all likelihood, he immediately forgot all that he'd learnt once he'd committed it to paper, but the reader wasn't/isn't to know that.

Oh yes, Vulch - I completely agree with you. I wasn't trying to lessen your argument, just throw in an interesting fact.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2007, 11:03:57 PM »
If you don?t mind me straying off topic a bit ? we have a US TV show shown in Canada called House (I think the first season it was House MD) ? it is about a brilliant but cranky and drugged up doctor. There is a website that lists all the Homesian attributes of House. http://www.housemd-guide.com/holmesian.php

Do you get that TV show in Britain? It is one of my favourite shows.

Sorry Diane we are on series 3 but I agree it is good

Nothing to be sorry about - we are on season 4 :)
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Rob Baker

« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2007, 11:38:41 PM »
Dick Francis, for example, knows all about horses; he writes books about horse racing, horse transportation, horse trainers, etc. He does not pilot his own plane, yet he has written several books where he (or the hero) is a pilot. Dick Francis obviously knows how to research.  If Mince researched enough, he could write about being a train driver OR a passenger.

Coo, this is all a bit deep.  To put things into perspective (I think), refer to Beau introducing readers into Book 6:

"....I thought it was time to explain how my two chroniclers set about their business. To capture the flavour of my life in the Legion, months of research are needed.  To make my visits to the pub authentic, the lads (Roger, writer, and Andrew,artist) forced themselves to spend hours at a time in hundreds of bars throughout the country.
"It was a terrible sacrifice," said Roger, "but one we felt necessary".
Andrew agreed. "It was hell. Sometimes after hours of research, we could hardly stand".
To learn about the desert, Roger looked at a postcard of Morocco.........."
;D

Vulture

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2007, 06:13:00 AM »
Dick Francis, for example, knows all about horses; he writes books about horse racing, horse transportation, horse trainers, etc. He does not pilot his own plane, yet he has written several books where he (or the hero) is a pilot. Dick Francis obviously knows how to research.  If Mince researched enough, he could write about being a train driver OR a passenger.

Coo, this is all a bit deep.  To put things into perspective (I think), refer to Beau introducing readers into Book 6:

"....I thought it was time to explain how my two chroniclers set about their business. To capture the flavour of my life in the Legion, months of research are needed.  To make my visits to the pub authentic, the lads (Roger, writer, and Andrew,artist) forced themselves to spend hours at a time in hundreds of bars throughout the country.
"It was a terrible sacrifice," said Roger, "but one we felt necessary".
Andrew agreed. "It was hell. Sometimes after hours of research, we could hardly stand".
To learn about the desert, Roger looked at a postcard of Morocco.........."
;D

Nah, Rob. This wasn't research: this was on the job training. ;D

peter

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2007, 10:32:00 AM »

Just the point I was making but it did not make him write more intelligently you can only convey to others in words.That which you understand and use.

If you take what we are talking about the other way, a person with a vocabulary of ten words is unable to communicate well.
As he learn more words he will get better. This is his research.
He could possible know of Enstien theory.but he would not be able to work it out.
Therefore as Roger pointed out he can say his character knows  how to work it out, but could not explain how to the reader.

look here now
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 12:04:00 PM by peter »

Vulture

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2007, 10:41:42 AM »

Just the point I was making but it did not make him write more intelligently you can only convey to others in words that you understand there use.

If you take what we are talking about the other way a person with a vocabulary of ten words is unable to communicate well.
As he learn more words he will get better. This is his research. He would possible know of Enstien theory.but would not be able to work it out therefore as Roger pointed out he can say his character knows how to work it out but could not explain how to the reader

Peter, your post has explained exactly the point you are trying to make.  ???

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2007, 11:05:21 AM »
I thought can Peter has making things even more are we? I know I went.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2007, 11:12:47 AM »
I particularly like the way Peter quotes and responds to a blank line from Vulture.

Vulture

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2007, 11:14:23 AM »
Peepmaster, I though Peter made his point very well. If you can't write, no amount of research is going to redress that! ;D

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2007, 11:19:01 AM »
I particularly like the way Peter quotes and responds to a blank line from Vulture.

Isn't it just!