Author Topic: fame?  (Read 674 times)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Re: fame?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2024, 11:01:45 AM »
Just the appendix scar then?

In case of misunderstanding, that was a reference to Jaws.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2024, 12:32:42 PM »
Human biology was never your strong point, was it?
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2024, 05:23:06 PM »
:-)
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2024, 09:43:42 AM »
Just the appendix scar then?

In case of misunderstanding, that was a reference to Jaws.
I wondered if that was it!

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2024, 07:03:49 PM »
Great stories, Tarqs and Diane. I really must get round to doing something interesting I can share on here!
I've just remembered something that happened four or five months ago. One morning, my wife announced that she'd gone to the bathroom during the night and had been greeted by a bat flying around the landing. She hadn't wanted to wake me with the news. When I asked if she was sure she wasn't dreaming, she replied that she didn't think so. This doubt was enough to convince that the event had never happened. Two nights later, she headed up to bed at around 10 p.m., leaving me downstairs watching golf or something. About 30 seconds later, she returned, rather white-faced, to say the bat was flapping around the landing again. I went up to check and there it was, like something out of a horror movie. My wife told me to open the front door and then go back upstairs and chase it out. "Oh, yeah", I responded "like it's going to immediately to fly downstairs and out the door just to help us out?"
It did. We then checked everywhere to make sure a whole batch of them weren't roosting somewhere but the house was clear. We guess that the bat had somehow got into the house and couldn't get out until I obligingly opened the door. As I said, this was around 5 months ago and we haven't seen anything since so we presume it was a one-off visit. I'm rather glad about that...

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2024, 09:52:15 PM »
It must have smelled the fresh air, rather than had your house planned out. You were very brave Roger, bats have had a bad rap since covid.

Around here we encourage bats (outdoors) to eat the mosquitos. My daughter built me a bat house when she took woodwork in high school.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2024, 11:04:48 PM »
We then checked everywhere to make sure a whole batch of them weren't roosting somewhere but the house was clear.

This had me rushing to find out what the collective noun is for bats, Roger. There are several, all beginning with a 'c' - colony, cauldron, camp and (when in flight, en masse) cloud.

But "batch" is simply inspired genius! :D
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2024, 10:06:10 AM »
Thanks, mate. Unlike you, I couldn't be bothered to find out the correct collective noun for bats. "Batch" just sounded right!