Author Topic: Mince's Holiday with Calypso  (Read 8977 times)

Tom

Re: Mince's Holiday with Calypso
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2008, 09:29:52 PM »
You'd end up a bit dizzy if you found yourself lost and went round all of them  ???  I suppose it is easier to get to the correct road though as compared to, say, Spaghetti Junction.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2008, 09:31:01 PM »
I did believe you, Peter - that's why I did some research and found those pictures. Apparently there's one in Chelmsford too.
I got this from Wikipedia:

The town of Swindon in Wiltshire, England, is known for its "Magic Roundabout". This roundabout is at an intersection of five roads and consists of a two-way road around the central island with five mini-roundabouts where it meets the incoming roads. Traffic may proceed around the main roundabout either clockwise via the outer lanes, or anti-clockwise using the inner lanes next to the central island. At each mini-roundabout the usual clockwise flow applies.
Similar systems are found in various places in England, most famously the Moor End roundabout in Hemel Hempstead (Hertfordshire), which has six intersections; but also one in High Wycombe (Buckinghamshire) and the Denham Roundabout in Denham (Buckinghamshire), the Greenstead Roundabout in Colchester (Essex) and the Sadler's Farm Roundabout in Benfleet (Essex); "The Egg" in Tamworth (Staffordshire); and the Hatton Cross Roundabout in London. Magic roundabouts are also known as "Ring Junctions", while larger ones are sometimes known as "Gyratories".

Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2008, 01:19:43 AM »
A person could go out to buy a tin of beans and never find their way home again.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Calypso

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2008, 01:39:52 AM »
Has anyone besides me noticed that Mince has not posted in this topic?  He hasn't posted his thoughts at all (not that he has many thoughts.) Is it possible that Mince is embarrassed (or ashamed) that he went on holiday with me?   :o 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 01:42:35 AM by Calypso »

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2008, 04:41:41 AM »
or maybe he just went out to buy a tin of beans...
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2008, 07:58:10 AM »
I had noticed that he'd gone a bit quiet.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Vulture

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2008, 08:25:51 AM »
Has anyone besides me noticed that Mince has not posted in this topic?  He hasn't posted his thoughts at all (not that he has many thoughts.) Is it possible that Mince is embarrassed (or ashamed) that he went on holiday with me?   :o 

I think the rest of us are just grateful that he's leaving us alone and not hounding us for our grammatical errors!

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2008, 09:22:54 AM »
Is it possible that Mince is embarrassed (or ashamed) that he went on holiday with me?   :o 

I enjoyed the holiday.

Calypso

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2008, 03:44:06 PM »
Is it possible that Mince is embarrassed (or ashamed) that he went on holiday with me?   :o 

I enjoyed the holiday.

Thank you, Mince. I'm so underwhelmed!

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2008, 05:18:07 PM »
I don't want to pry....

....so I won't.  :-X
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2008, 05:26:53 PM »
I was trying to say something that could not be taken the wrong way. I failed.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2008, 05:30:03 PM »
I was trying to say something that could not be taken the wrong way. I failed.

What's that supposed to mean, eh? Are you lookin' at me?
I apologise, in advance.

Malc

« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2008, 12:03:48 AM »
I'm reading the book by Patricia Cornwell where, after examining a phenomenal amount of evidence, she reveals who she thinks Jack The Ripper was.

You can Google it anyway, so I'll tell you: She believes the artist Walter Sickert was the Ripper and says so quite blatantly and openly many times in the book, despite the fact his family are alive and well and handling his estate. To date she hasn't been sued.

Anyway, that apart, one of the items she tracked down was a guest book from a Cornwall hotel wherein Sickert has vandalised many pages of previous guests comments with doodles and multiple corrections of their grammar and spelling. The handwriting and crude sketches closely match that of the letters the Ripper sent to taunt the police at the time.

I just thought that was interesting.