Author Topic: Quiet weekend...  (Read 6686 times)

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Quiet weekend...
« on: February 19, 2007, 09:59:36 AM »
...was there some kind of Beau Peep Convention on that everyone accidentally forgot to tell me about, hmmmm?

(where's the paranoid emoticon?)
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Re: Quiet weekend...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 12:26:09 PM »
Do you mean no one told you?

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 12:31:39 PM »
I was washing my hair anyway.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 12:36:31 PM »
Shhh - I'm trying to sleep here...
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 02:14:57 PM »
SORRY!!!
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 02:54:01 PM »
Once a year, whether I like it or not, I have to do bookkeeping and tax preparation. This was that weekend. The good part is that I can now see my desk again.

The other good news is that we Albertans, because of our oil and gas revenue, have one extra statutory holiday than the rest of Canada  ?Family Day? and today is that day. So I will drive the kids 90km to the nearest indoor swimming pool for a special Family Day toonie swim ($2).
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 06:31:57 PM »
Diane, I have to ask....what's a "toonie" swim?

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 07:07:55 PM »
Roger, thank you for asking. When our paper $1 bills were changed to a coin, someone put the image of the loon on them ? of course they were quickly nicknamed the loonie.

The Canadian Loonie - named after the loon.

A little later the two-dollar bill was replaced by a coin also ? it wouldn?t have mattered what was put on the coin as the phrase ?loonie toons? was too strong to ignore, the coin was immediately nicknamed the toonie. It also makes sense when you think of TWO-nee. 

The Canadian Toonie - nothing to do with a bear.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Colin

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 08:49:13 PM »

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 10:12:52 PM »
Diane. I really hope it's possible to go into a Canadian store and buy a tinna toonie tuna.
Colin, great stuff.

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 11:22:28 PM »
Ah thocht it wuz nippin' intae toon furra dip.
I apologise, in advance.

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »
So - is the Convention still on?
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 10:52:07 PM »
Yep, it's still going. We've been partying every night until one . . . sometimes two . . . minutes past ten. Amazing parties - wine, women, song! You'd hardly notice them missing.

[Jokes (c) Ronnie Corbett]

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 12:27:44 AM »
Ah, but it's the way you tell 'em, Mr Mince.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 01:03:51 AM »
This next joke is set in the Scottish Highlands, so if you hate the joke you can at least admire the scenery. It's a very funny joke I picked up cheap at the local jumble sale last Friday. In fact the joke is priceless: I had it valued on the antiques roadshow, and they told me it's early sixteenth century and possibly one of a pair. In fact with this joke I am pushing back the boundaries of comedy and reaching new, unexplored areas of comedy - I'm getting beyond a joke. It's about a woman who is shy (with coconuts to match). No, it's not. It's about a man who had seventeen children and was very short of cash - he was very short of breath too, as a matter of fact.  He never took the dog for a walk - he just sat in his chair and showed it travel brochures. Anyway, the man was broke. His neighbour had an extension (which we won't dwell on). He once got a job as a mime artist, but one day he was attacked and strangled by the invisible man, and everyone just watched and clapped. And every year his honeymoon was re-enacted by the Sealed Knot Society. His town had not been modernised like others: there were still horse-drawn ambulances, added to which they were not even good drawings. The town was so polluted that if you threw a stone in the air it stayed there.

Sorry, I just got carried away.