Author Topic: TV Licensing  (Read 5853 times)

Offline The Peepmaster

TV Licensing
« on: February 06, 2009, 01:48:32 PM »
I'm getting a relentless stream of letters to a house I'm renovating, from TV Licensing. They're all accusatory and assume that I'm a law-breaker as I don't have a license allied to the address.

The fact that the house is a shell of 4 walls without a roof, and nobody could possibly live there probably indicates that I don't need a TV license there. (I have one where I live).

I've decided I need to correspond with them. I've made the first step by filling in an email form online.

I don't like their automatic assumption that I'm evading them, so I'm not going to make it easy for them.

"Please stop harassing me with letters. They really are piling up now.

I have no requirement for a TV license. I live on an island anyway, and rarely watch TV in any case."

I've had an automatic reply back acknowledging receipt of the email. I'll keep you posted.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline The Peepmaster

Re: TV Licensing
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 04:25:06 PM »
I got a reply:

Dear Mr Sutherland,

Thank you for contacting us.

Unfortunately I am unable to deal with your request, as you have not provided your complete address with postcode and the letter reference number.

Once I have this information I will action your request and send you the appropriate form or confirmation.

Yours sincerely

TV Licensing

That could be the end of it, but I've written back:

Okay, thanks anyway.

I was just worried about the paper waste. I recognise which are from TV Licensing because of the warnings on the front so I don't open them - I just put them straight out for recycling.

Thought I might save you the postage etc.

Regards,

Zesty White

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 04:48:36 PM »
I recognise which are from TV Licensing because of the warnings on the front so I don't open them - I just put them straight out for recycling.
[/i]

Dont you love needless bureaucracy (sp?)? Just be careful no undesirables get a hold of your details and thieve your identity....

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 04:56:14 PM »
I just had a phone call - it comes up "International", so I'm immediately wary, as I get a lot of such calls which are silent. I think it's a system where lots of numbers are rung simultaneously, and those that are answered eventually have an operator speak to them. I usually put the phone down before that can happen.

This one was from a firm in Switzerland, who wanted to sell me some Google Adwords marketing. (I already use, and pay for Google Adwords for my websites, and use my own control panel), so it's already got my back up. I asked him for his phone number - but he said he wasn't allowed to divulge that. (Also gets my back up). I was quite civil with him, but explained that I didn't fall for scams (which got his back up).  ;D

I left it at that, but felt guilty afterwards - I always do. Why should I feel guilty? I didn't request the bloody call...

Tom

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 07:42:05 PM »
You feel even worse when you say no to someone who says they are calling from a charity, only for them to slam the phone down on you before you have finished speaking to them.  >:(

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 08:10:33 PM »
I've already moaned about charities here in the past. Because I've contributed to several over the years, I am now inundated with mail. Yesterday, I got seven letters in total----six were from charities. One of them included a pair of children's socks and splashed across the front of the envelope were the words "THESE SOCKS ARE DESPERATELY NEEDED". Of course, I was being manipulated to return them---with a healthy donation. I am losing both my patience and my charitable nature.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 08:13:44 PM »
Send them a pair of YOUR socks, Roger. (Wear 'em for a week first.)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 09:08:47 PM »
Good thinking, Peeps.
The trouble is that I DO start feeling guilty if I don't respond. But if these socks are so "DESPERATELY NEEDED", why send them to me first? Well, of course, I know the answer, and it's all about the cheque that they hope will accompany the return of the socks, but it doesn't half annoy me. Then I start thinking why should those kids suffer because of the arseholes running the charity. I reckon I'm getting at least 20 such letters a week and I can't help feeling my name is flagged up somewhere as "sucker". New Year resolution---I will be selective.

Tom

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 09:28:39 PM »
My Mum has the same problem, Roger - it was her call I mentioned earlier - and she used to feel guilty about not giving to the charities who wrote to her, but she already gives to three or four regularly, and you couldn't possibly give to everyone.

The annoying thing is, the charities have probably sold your's and my Mum's details to the other charities for them to get your address... I can't see the charities having a central database of suck -er- contributors for them all to share.

And the fu -er- people in charge  :-[ probably couldn't care less if you, my Mum or anyone else felt bad. They probably wouldn't even think twice about wasting the charities money on the postage.  >:( >:( >:(

Tom

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 09:33:13 PM »
Sorry, Peeps, veered slightly away from your TV Licensing topic there...

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 09:57:31 PM »
Regular mail here costs 52c. I just got about a half a page size piece of paper as a thank you put in an odd shaped envelope and it cost about $1.26 to mail to me. I feel like writing to them to stop wasting the money I sent to feed the poor kids with silly odd shaped thank you notes.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Max

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 10:09:44 PM »
Roger,

Send them a letter (with no stamp attached) telling them how grateful you are for the socks and how lil Billy can now wear his shoes without his feet being blistered.
You could add that you have never asked for charity, but if they had any spare clothing especially in your size, you would be eternally thankful.
Spare money would be a bonus, some tinned food even better, and could they help with your rates bill?  ;D

peter

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 11:30:41 PM »
Roger,

Send them a letter (with no stamp attached) telling them how grateful you are for the socks and how lil Billy can now wear his shoes without his feet being blistered.
You could add that you have never asked for charity, but if they had any spare clothing especially in your size, you would be eternally thankful.
Spare money would be a bonus, some tinned food even better, and could they help with your rates bill?  ;D

Then you could really lay it on.

Fyodor

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 10:01:35 AM »
I'm getting a relentless stream of letters to a house I'm renovating, from TV Licensing. They're all accusatory and assume that I'm a law-breaker as I don't have a license allied to the address.

The fact that the house is a shell of 4 walls without a roof, and nobody could possibly live there probably indicates that I don't need a TV license there. (I have one where I live).

I've decided I need to correspond with them. I've made the first step by filling in an email form online.

I don't like their automatic assumption that I'm evading them, so I'm not going to make it easy for them.

"Please stop harassing me with letters. They really are piling up now.

I have no requirement for a TV license. I live on an island anyway, and rarely watch TV in any case."

I've had an automatic reply back acknowledging receipt of the email. I'll keep you posted.

Spelling, Peepmaster!

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 10:13:35 AM »
Yes, I always get mixed up with that. I think it's becasue of the "s" in "licensing".

Incidentally, please don't attempt to out-pillock the pilchard.