Author Topic: Which vegetable is the one you most enjoy preparing, and which is the least?  (Read 7613 times)

Offline The Peepmaster

I enjoy preparing spring cabbage, but hate peeling and chopping swede.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
I'm none too fond of suede myself - very tough, very leathery.
I apologise, in advance.

Vulture

Turnips - so hard to peel and chop up.

New potatoes - a quick rinse and bung them in a pan!

Offline The Peepmaster

Thanks, Tarks. I hadn't noticed my slip!

I like your answer, Vulch. I'm assuming you're giving them in a different order.

Vulture

Thanks, Tarks. I hadn't noticed my slip!

I like your answer, Vulch. I'm assuming you're giving them in a different order.

Look - you know I'm Chinese. We read things from right to left!

Offline The Peepmaster

Actually, turnip is quite like swede. I remember my Mum gave me a tip about peeling swede. She said the trick was to slice it first. Then you can peel the "rim" more easily.

(I hope Mince is enjoying these girlie threads I'm making that are nothing to do with football.)

Malc

Girls have never liked articles about peeling swedes, unless that swede was Dolph Lundgren.

Women only care about shopping, themselves, and sex, though pretend to be ambivalent about the latter.

-------------------------------------------------

There you go, Peeps, that's how you get a thread going, never mind kitchen hints, this isn't the People's Friend.

Offline The Peepmaster

Dose of clap.

I didn't have the nerve to post that on the other thread.

Offline Diane CBPFC

I have been waiting for this dream thread to come along for neigh on ten years now - a fascinating subject!

Best: Frozen somethings - lets say sweet baby peas
Least: peeling sweet potatoes (much like turnips, but with even harder to get at curvey bits)- I'm sure Malc knows what I'm talking about with his opinions about women.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Vulture

Women only care about shopping, themselves, and sex, though pretend to be ambivalent about the latter.

Thanks for this, Malc. It explains a lot about you!  ;D ;D

Malc

You know it's true.

Offline The Peepmaster

Spring cabbage... You lay each leaf out on the chopping board, then cut out the stalk with the point of a knife. There's something very therapeutic about that, almost artistic.

Er.. that's what women tell me, anyway.

Joan

Girls have never liked articles about peeling swedes, unless that swede was Dolph Lundgren.

-------------------------------------------------

There you go, Peeps, that's how you get a thread going, never mind kitchen hints, this isn't the People's Friend.

You know, I think the only person pretending around here is Malc - to be a MCP, whereas really he's just a big sweetheart.

Personally, I've never pretended to be or been ambivalent about sex.  As for preparing vegetables, I'm with Diane on the easiest being frozen.  The hardest for me is definitely pumpkin, all varieties - the equivalent difficulty to a turnip, except they don't really have turnips here, just wee swedes.  Bjorn Borg would have been my choice for a proper Swede to peel.

Offline Diane CBPFC

Bjorn Borg would have been my choice for a proper Swede to peel.

See what you have done now Nige with this racy topic! ? you have made Brussels sprouts seem smutty.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline The Peepmaster

I do a Sunday roast dinner every Wednesday, (Lucy and her lad, Josh come round), and so I've just been out to get the veg for that. I bought a pack of pre-diced carrot and swede mix, broccoli, potatoes, and a few more carrots in case the mix doesn't stretch far enough.

Tonight I'm doing chicken, so I have some bread sauce too. (A packet mix.)

I have to say I'm quite an expert at roast dinners. Most commonly I do a joint of pork; and the roast potatoes are always crispy, as is the crackling. I also make brilliant gravy from the juices, vegetable water, stock cube, and corn flour.

We've got profiteroles for afters, with cream. I bought them in ready made. I'll probably open a bottle of wine to wash it all down.