Author Topic: What should replace handshakes to stop Swine-Flu?  (Read 1546 times)

Offline The Peepmaster

What should replace handshakes to stop Swine-Flu?
« on: September 25, 2009, 06:51:58 PM »
Just found a poll. http://pollpigeon.com/what-should-replace-the-handshake-to-stop-swine-flu/t/36942/

It annoys me when I meticulously wash my hands after having a... er... after visiting the gents, and then have to open the door inwardly by holding a handle that millions of blokes who don't bother washing the crap off their hands have been using all day.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: What should replace handshakes to stop Swine-Flu?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 09:46:42 PM »
You could use a paper towel to open the door then toss it into the basket on the way out.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 10:24:26 PM »
It annoys me when I meticulously wash my hands after having a... er... after visiting the gents, and then have to open the door inwardly by holding a handle that millions of blokes who don't bother washing the crap off their hands have been using all day.

This is one we share, Peepsie (though not physically, of course). I will occasionally go to the lengths of timing my exit just right so as to be able to hold the door open with my foot, after the person in front of me has exited, and follow through that way. Sam reckons I'm erring on the side of OCD, but I once heard that after analysis, a small bowl of salted peanuts left on a bar for customers was found to contain traces of fourteen different urines. Must've been a very bored scientist drinking there that day, but I am indebted to him.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 10:26:12 PM »
You could use a paper towel to open the door then toss it into the basket on the way out.

Great idea, Diane, if you can find a public loo with paper towels these days. Alternatively, you could rip the electric hand drier off the wall, and use it to break the door down.
I apologise, in advance.

Malc

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 03:05:16 PM »
...or do as I do, and always use the cubicle, keeping a little piece of toilet paper to negotiate the door handle on the way out.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 04:31:27 PM »
Even if everyone does wash their hands, they still have to turn the tap on with their crud-encrusted donny, so that when they eventually do go back to turn it off again, they re-contaminate the aforementioned bodypart with the the tap-handle's coating.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 06:21:07 PM »
I'm never going out again.

Malc

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 03:21:40 AM »
That's the danger, innit? We all get so paranoid about touching anything that we stay indoors, like Howard Hughes who wandered around with kleenex boxes on his feet.
I haven't got to the stage where I keep hand sanitizer everywhere, but I'm getting there...

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 04:22:30 AM »
I've got a cold. but still I came on the Beau Peep forum - hope you aren't all spraying your screens with Lysol.  ;D
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Vulture

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 06:39:12 AM »
I think there's an point when all this 'over-kill' will kill you.
I was brought up on the principle that 'a little dirt wouldn't harm you'. These days, most germs are sterilised out of existance so when a new one comes along, all you younger ones drop like flies!