Author Topic: Where's Mince?  (Read 9006 times)

Malc

Re: Where's Mince?
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2009, 10:03:22 PM »
It definitely was an urban myth, born out of a police raid on a house where the Stones were staying. The cops knocked on the door, Keith Richards obligingly opened it and they searched the house for drugs.
Marianne was apparently sitting in the main lounge with most of the Stones wearing a bathrobe (having just taken a bath) and it was a scene of domestic bliss, of sorts.
From memory, some pot was found and they were all marched off to the cop shop, none of the sexual debauchery which has become rock and roll legend actually took place, but Marianne admits she did "flash" one copper.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2009, 10:48:44 PM »
It definitely was an urban myth, born out of a police raid on a house where the Stones were staying. The cops knocked on the door, Keith Richards obligingly opened it and they searched the house for drugs.
Marianne was apparently sitting in the main lounge with most of the Stones wearing a bathrobe (having just taken a bath) and it was a scene of domestic bliss, of sorts.
From memory, some pot was found and they were all marched off to the cop shop, none of the sexual debauchery which has become rock and roll legend actually took place, but Marianne admits she did "flash" one copper.

Exactly, Malc! Total fabrication.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Vulture

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2009, 06:27:30 AM »

In those days, wasn't a copper an old penny?

Malc

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2009, 11:17:10 AM »
...or even a new penny.

Vulture

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2009, 11:45:12 AM »
...or even a new penny.

...no! A new penny was known as a 'p'!

Malc

« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2009, 01:24:19 PM »
Not in those ancient times. "pees" only came into play after decimalization (1971), and the Mars bar incident occurred in 1967.

Vulture

« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2009, 02:08:27 PM »
Not in those ancient times. "pees" only came into play after decimalization (1971), and the Mars bar incident occurred in 1967.

OK, Malc. Re-read my posts. If you need any help with the difficult words - speak to Roger.

Quote from: Malc on Yesterday at 10:03:22 PM

In those days, wasn't a copper an old penny? 'those days' being the late sixties!

...or even a new penny.

...no! A new penny was known as a 'p'!

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2009, 03:58:31 PM »
I think Malc's pedantic point, Vult, is that penny's weren't classified as "old" until after decimalisation. Prior to that, they'd only be old if they had a George or Victoria on them, and new if they were shiny and had ER indoors on them. But then I could be wrong, so I won't mention his spelling of decimalisation.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2009, 05:20:24 PM »
I think Malc's pedantic point, Vult, is that penny's weren't classified as "old" until after decimalisation.

But then I could be wrong, so I won't mention his spelling of decimalisation.

And we won't mention your spelling of "pennies".

Vulture

« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2009, 06:40:17 PM »
Oh, the double shame.  <-  <-

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2009, 08:29:25 PM »
We've let our grammar and punctuation slip in Mince's absence - time to shape up!
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Malc

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2009, 11:46:07 PM »
Right.

Vulch, you're not too big to go over my knee.  :P

You could have a new penny in 1967, i.e. one which just came out of the mint. It was still an "old" penny from our present day point of view, i.e. post-decimalization.

The old pennies in 1967 were grubby and brown, the new (newly minted) pennies in 1967 were shiny.
Neither were referred to as "pee"s, a term that came in well after 1971 and which referred to decimal coinage.

I hope that explains everything.  ..0

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2009, 11:54:12 PM »
The old pennies were new when they were minted.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Vulture

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2009, 05:58:12 AM »
Vulch, you're not too big to go over my knee. Oh, yes I am!

(In those days, wasn't a copper an old penny?)

OK, Malc. Let me type slowly for the dim on this board.

A 'penny' was the copper coin minted before February 14th 1971. It was colloquially known as a 'copper'; a policeman was also known as a 'copper'. It was worth one twelfth of a shilling, and there were 240 of them to the pound. When writing it on a bill or sum, it is referred to as 'd'.

A 'new penny' came into being in 1971. It is worth one hundreth of a pound. It is known as a 'p' and it written as such on bills or sums. It is NOT also known as a 'copper'.

'New', in this sense, does not mean 'newly minted', it means the 'new currency' that the government/European Union imposed upon us in 1971.

Tom

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2009, 06:52:26 AM »
Vulch, what did the 'd' stand for?

Everyone who I ask either doesn't know, or says decimalisation, which can't be right...