Author Topic: Where's Roger?  (Read 8978 times)

Vulture

Re: Where's Roger?
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2009, 03:55:16 PM »
This is a sad thread. My thoughts are for all those who are bereaved or suffering sadness.

I'm hoping spirits will be raised by the time we arrive at Roger's pad. I think it would be rude to show up any earlier than mid-day, so perhaps the coach can stop at a nearby pub for an hour or so first.

Coach? Mince has a coach?

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2009, 06:37:12 PM »
I imagine we'd need a mini-bus at least. Hope Roger's got enough chairs.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Vulture

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2009, 06:41:32 PM »
I imagine we'd need a mini-bus at least. Hope Roger's got enough chairs.  and plates!

Should we bring a bottle of something?

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2009, 07:14:53 PM »
Should we bring a bottle of something?

Washing-up liquid?
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2009, 08:10:53 PM »
I've been down to the local store and ordered five loaves and two fishes.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2009, 08:48:21 PM »
I'm not driving all that way for a fish sandwich.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Vulture

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2009, 10:17:58 PM »
It might be a pilchard sandwich!  ..0

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2009, 10:29:31 PM »
I like sardines on toast, but never had that as a prelude to a Christmas feast.

Vulture

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2009, 08:02:54 AM »
I imagine we'd need a mini-bus at least. Hope Roger's got enough chairs.

I think we'll have to scrap the mini-bus and go for a boat instead!  :o

Tom

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2009, 07:16:23 PM »
I'd love to offer the use of my yacht, but it's being refurbished at present. The work is scheduled for completion mid January.

Diamond Lil

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2009, 07:39:32 PM »
Can we just scrap the plans for Christmas Day and have a Mid-January Day on Tom's yacht instead?

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2009, 08:09:13 PM »
Can we just scrap the plans for Christmas Day and have a Mid-January Day on Tom's yacht instead?
Good idea, Sis. As you know, the Olympic swimming pool and heli-pad on my estate are being upgraded so we'll be in Mustique anyway.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2009, 09:47:17 PM »

Er, no.

We're invading Roger's house even if we have to walk there.

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2010, 12:12:36 PM »
Sorry, folks, but I have to add to this thread as the comments have reminded me of my departed parents, who died 20+ years ago (aged only 52 and 54).  My Dad died suddenly of a massive heart attack at 52, but at least he was not in pain (just keeled over in the garden).  My Mother died two years later from a stroke (but I believe it was a broken heart, missing her partner of 31 years)

Sorry, just thought - the wife and I have now been married longer than my parents were.  This is weird.

Anyway, the reason for this post is to relate the true tale of how my wife was able to say to the postman "Oh, it's the mother-in-law, finally arrived".

My Mum was cremated (by the Co-op) in Ashford, Kent, and as I found out, they don't give you the ashes straight away.  They said she would be delivered to our home in Bicester, Oxfordshire a few days later.  When she had not arrived by the allotted time, the wife contacted the Royal Mail office in Oxford, to be told that they could not find the package.  Much embarrassment later (and two further days) they found her and delivered the same.  The postman did not know what he was delivering, hence the humorous quote from the wife.  She did not have the heart to point out that the package had been slightly damaged, and my mum was leaking out!

My Dad would have found this amusing at the time (as would my Mum, except that she was the package) as their attitude is that the body is only a vessel for the spirit or person inside - and that is the important part.

Eventually, we buried my Mum in the same plot as my Dad (and his Mum) - saves space and is nice that they are all together.

We are all on this speck of earth for a finite time, and should make the most of it - humour helps, a lot!

p.s.  Not too sure I would recommend the Co-op for funerals.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2010, 12:18:11 PM »

p.s.  Not too sure I would recommend the Co-op for funerals.

I couldn't agree more. I was at one and people kept knocking me, trying to reach the corn-flakes.