Author Topic: A day in the life...  (Read 3605 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
A day in the life...
« on: April 28, 2010, 10:51:55 PM »
Friday the 30th of April.
Just as a matter of interest, why don't we all post what we did on that day over the weekend? I'm pretty sure I'll win the "Most Boring" award, but what the hell.
Anyone?

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
Re: A day in the life...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 11:17:57 PM »
Ok but you were warned.

Tom

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:50:06 PM »
We're nearly there... !  8)

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 07:38:05 AM »
Got up at 0600hrs, said "good morning" to Trog #2 and got a smile (Yay!).  Took the dog out (Ziva, a German Shepherd Bitch), had a bath, woke up Trog #1, got dressed in the finest CS95, then produced two copies of two new preschool employment contracts for the new staff.  Made the mistake of opening the Forum, posting this and typing a few letters abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxz.  Now going to have breakfast of crunchy nut clusters, glass of OJ and a pile of tablets.  Trog #2 left, followed closely by Trog #1, hopefully not too closely as they work in opposite directions.
Breakfast was tasty, cleaned teeth (all 32 of them, so I must have some wisdom left) and played noseball with Ziva (well, she played it with her nose, I used a size 9 boot, cunningly enclosing my foot).  Now off to work.

Survived the roads of Dorset.  I must be me as the Gate Guard let me in.  Cleaned boots as they were dirty from playing noseball with Ziva.  Opened outlook and had two messages (wow).  One was a thank you, but I can't divulge the contents due to national security (or rather it's that boring - as if this isn't!).  Opened the laptop and (big mistake) logged into the Forum.  Played the quiz (10/10, 80 secs, but bound to be beaten by Malky, Calvin, etc, when they wake up).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 09:06:29 AM by Bilthehut »

Joan

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 10:28:22 AM »
Gosh, that's detailed, Bill!  I doubt I'll remember that much detail now (it's 6pm on Friday here), but will try.

Got up at about 8.30am (give me a break, I'm still affected by poisonous substances), came downstairs behind darling daughter who muttered "hello" and after she'd made her sandwich for lunch, "goodbye" as she went out the door.  There was nothing in between.  I poured juice, put the kettle on for coffee and got out the Sultanas 'n Bran to discover that the old man had left me the dross at the bottom of the container.  Hate that, so it went in the bin.  Powered up the laptop and sat down to enjoy my fresh, crispy cereal with a spoonful of wheatgerm and a sliced banana on top.

Somehow I was still sitting at the table two hours later - there seemed to be a lot going on in cyber land, what with emails, Facebook, Twitter, Beau Peep, etc, etc.  We were also throttled while I was downloading some updates, so everything was going very slowly.  Don't know how you cope with dial-up, Diane.  Not happy with darling son for downloading too much stuff - we still have a week to go till we get back to normal speed.

Not very nice, gray, wet day here in old Sydney town, so after I'd had a shower and got cleaned up and had a bit of lunch, hubby and I decided to go on an outing.  Where to go?  I preferred the mall, given the state of the weather, but didn't fancy trailing round the shops with a whinging hubby hanging on.  In the event, we split up and hubby, I suspect, went looking for Mother's Day gifts for me, while I went off looking for shoes and tops ... totally hopeless.  Nobody had the shoes I wanted.  Tried on a couple of tops and discovered why it's a good idea not to pull things on and off over your head while wearing a wig.  Managed to put the wrong body bits in the wrong place in one top and when I finally managed to get it off, said wig ended up flying off onto the floor - not very dignified.  Lucky we don't have communal dressing rooms here.  Had enough, so headed off in the direction of coffee, to find hubby with his in front of hiim, waiting patiently, or so it seemed.

Had coffee, got bread and fruit, uneventful drive home where nothing much else has happened.  A friend phoned, which is why this isn't posted yet, Son came home with some Indian takeaway which he and hubby ate and I'm about to cook myself an omelette.  I don't expect anything exciting will happen for the rest of the evening.  No wild night out for me.  More like sitting in front of the telly knitting.  Hope hubby's team are not playing tonight - I can only take so much football (rugby league).  If anything does eventuate, will add later.

You can wake up now.  Can't imagine that yours will be any more boring, Roger.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 12:31:03 PM »
Bill's Friday - Part 2.
Just returned from having listened to a presentation on operational information management somewhere hot to the east of here.  Can't say any more or I would have to **** *** ***.  Most of this morning has been spent looking for cost effective journeys between here and Toulon in France.  Eurostar seemed a good bet, and would have been a nice journey except I can't get a Saturday journey and would have to stay overnight in London.  That, coupled with the long journey time, makes it unacceptable (it's also expensive compared to flying).  I have now opted for flying and am producing the reams of forms, etc to justify why I must go to this meeting (which is my job, and has already been agreed in the budget, but what the heck - someone wants to justify their power and it is public money.)

Now, it's lunchtime and I'm off to heat my chicken and leek Big Soup.

1530hrs.  Had lunch -Yumm.  Continued battering the keyboard producing sufficient documentary evidence to allow me to go on holiday to the south of France to an important NATO meeting in Jun. (it's important - not me - I'm a dogsbody standing in for my boss - well someone has to do it, so why not me.)  Work done, now off home once my outlook pst file has compiled.

We are having a family film night in, watching Avatar on the new Blu-ray player.  #1 & #2 urchins saw it with me in 2D then just #2 with me in 3D.  SWMBO stayed at home, knowing I would want to get the DVD.  So, it's Lasagne for tea and then screening starts at 1930hrs, with ice cream for intermission/loo break.  Just have to get home and pop down to the gym for a beasting session beforehand. pick up all the gash wood, broken mower, crash helmet and miscellaneous crap lying around the garden and put it in the trailer to go to the Tip tomorrow.

1900hrs and the Lasagne is cooked ready to eat.  Just need to set up the cinema and pop it in the over (the lasagne that is - and it's the better half doing the oven work, ably assisted by #1 trog.  #2 trog helped me move the rubbish, and had fun with my cordless reciprocating saw.  Power tools are fun.

BTW, Great post, Joan.   The secret is writing it down at the time.  My memory sucks otherwise. :-*
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 07:04:12 PM by Bilthehut »

Tom

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 08:14:55 PM »
I sprang out of bed at just after six this morning. Dove into my bath shortly afterwards, and then went to work. Stayed there until five, and then came home. Ate a lovely curry. Watched some 'Last of the Summer Wine'. Popped onto the forum.

I could go into more detail, but the timings may be out, so I've decided to post the general, less exiting version.

Oh, I went for a walk at lunchtime, and got wet in the rain.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 09:19:52 PM »
Okay, buckle up and prepare yourself for a white-knuckle journey through my day....
I got up just before eight and had two poached eggs for breakfast. Oh, and some tinned grapefruit. Actually, I had the grapefruit before the eggs. And some coffee. My wife has already gone to work by this stage so the only conversation involves swearing at the cats.
It's roughly nine-fifteen and I'm at my desk, showered, dressed and ready to write. I'm working on Andy Capp today and I feel the creativity coursing through my veins. At ten, I haven't come up with anything so I move to the couch. I find that lying on my back for a few minutes is a positive way to tap into inspiration. I wake up at eleven. Okay, back to my desk and concentrate. For some reason, the word "congeal" pops into my head and I play around with it until it turns into a passable(?) gag. Flo reminds Andy that they're having dinner at her mum's that night. Andy asks "Any idea what she's congealing?" I'll work on it.
The afternoon has been spent making cups of tea for the gasman who has come to service the boiler. My wife returns from work and I pretend to listen about her day. It's now nine fifteen and I've only written one script. Ah,well, tomorrow's another day. I think I'll go and watch the snooker.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 10:07:26 PM »
I've just got back from seeing Iron Man 2 at the moving pictures. Everything prior to that just pales into complete insignificance.

Go see it!
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 11:05:41 PM »
Diane lay in bed dozing in that brief interval between dreamland and reality, knowing she was waking up because she was cold. The window had been open all night and a hint of dampness hung in the air of the brisk April Alberta morning and settled on her skimpily covered body; she had kicked off the blankets during sleep where she had been baking cakes with Madonna’s old boyfriend and flying through the air with her own mother.  Gently and carefully she was ensconced in a fluffy quilt as it was settled over her chilled form; she felt the instant warmth relax her back into dreamland, feeling loved as hubby quietly turned the door handle and tiptoed out the room.

(That’s pretty good eh -  seeing that I’m not even awake yet in the story.)

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Joan

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 01:03:26 AM »
So what happened in real life, Diane?  I'm sure he wouldn't have given you a good nudge and said, "Your turn to milk the cows, hen."  ;)

Joan

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 01:25:41 AM »
Have to see Iron Man 1 first, TT.  Disgraceful, isn't it?  And RDJ is one of my favourite actors as well.

Pity you didn't pick the Friday before, Roger.  Had an outing to the city, with ferry trip and everything and it was a beautiful day.  There are even pictures.

Great idea, though - I now have images of Bill careering through the roads of Dorset (for some reason, I imagine them as narrow and twisting with high hedges, though I've never been there) and frolicking in the garden with his German Shepherd and a ball, Tom diving into his bath and getting wet again on his lunchtime walk, TT glued to the big screen as Robert Downey Jr does his stuff and you snoring on the couch.  ;)  Diane's fantasy is lovely, but I want to hear the real macoy, Diane!

« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 01:32:02 AM by Joan »

Tom

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 01:46:29 AM »
I was engrossed in Diane's dream... was I the only one to get naturally wet today ???

Is Robert Downey Jr Iron Man? Not seen any of the films. Joan, never mind reality, have you seen 'Only You' from years ago? I think that's a good film.

Joan

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 02:01:47 AM »
I have "Only You" on DVD, Tom and watch it frequently.  Love the scenes in Italy.  Takes me back, especially that road down the coast from Naples.   :D

Yes, RDJ is Iron Man - he looks very different to when he was  in "Only You" though.  Does in real life as well.

I got a bit damp going to the car yesterday, but tried to avoid the rain when I could.  Sun's back out today, but cloudy.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 02:40:54 AM »
Joan, I envy you! Wish I still had the sheer delight of watching both Iron Man films for the first time. And with your added RDJ 'drool factor', you'll enjoy every second, I promise you. Get the DVD of Iron Man 1 forthwith, and go see Iron Man 2 at your nearest Imax. You know it makes sense!
I apologise, in advance.