Author Topic: Happy Canada Day, Diane!  (Read 3250 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Happy Canada Day, Diane!
« on: July 01, 2010, 07:50:07 PM »
I've sort of given away what I wanted to say in the heading.

Jack

Re: Happy Canada Day, Diane!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 07:56:17 PM »
Yes, Happy... Canada Day. (Sheesh, they have days for everything now...)

I'm going to have some pancakes with maple syrup, to celebrate.

This has probably been covered long ago, and I've forgotten, but I'm curious Diane as to whether you've adopted a Canadian accent.

Actually, I'll open this up to anybody who lives away from their origins. Have you gone 'native' with your accents, or retained your childhood accent?

Vulture

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 08:12:24 PM »
Well, I've been in London since 1963 but still say 'glaass' and 'graass' and 'baath'  (instead of glarss and grarss and barth).

Tom

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 08:19:55 PM »
I went through a few years of talking otterly plommy, but then I went back to being common (It was due to my job back then).

What kind of things does one do on Canada Day? ...Happy Canada Day, by the way Diane.  :D

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 08:34:17 PM »
Although I've lived in the Dundee area for over thirty years, I apparently still have a Highland accent----and it occasionally comes in for ridicule by the odd native down here. Dundonians say "eh" for "I" and "peh" for "pie". That doesn't really describe it properly. "I" is pronounced like the "e" in "egg". Anyway, they're all weird.

Jack

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 08:37:18 PM »
What kind of things does one do on Canada Day?

Well...

I've also decided I'll watch an episode of Due South.

You know, I think this whole "Canada Day" idea is starting to grow on me.

Vulture

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 08:54:10 PM »
What kind of things does one do on Canada Day?

Well...

I've also decided I'll watch an episode of Due South. Thanks for the thought, Jack. I could just go a half-hour drooling over that sexy mountie.

You know, I think this whole "Canada Day" idea is starting to grow on me.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 09:26:12 PM »
I was more of a "Northern Exposure" fan. I loved that show.

Tom

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 09:32:44 PM »
I've got a Canadian flag somewhere. I'll wave it if I find it.

Vulture

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
I was more of a "Northern Exposure" fan. I loved that show.

I'm not fussy - I love(d) both of them!

Vulture

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 09:37:31 PM »
I've got a Canadian flag somewhere. I'll wave it if I find it.

I'm not into flag waving. I let Canada have my only daughter, that's enough!

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)

Malc

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 12:20:23 AM »
Isn't the correct spelling "O Canada"?

As in "O Canada, land of towering mountains, mighty redwoods, handsome mounties, etc, etc..."?

After England's World Cup Debacle their new national anthem is "O For F*ck's Sake".

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 01:37:11 AM »
Thank you all for putting in some effort for Canada Day.

There was a pancake breakfast put on by the Elks club but we didn’t go in that early. Got to town in time for the singing of O Canada and the raising of the flags put on by the Legion and the RCMP – they had a huge cake (something like 2’ by 3’) decorated like the flag. Then we listened to live music in the gazebo in the park all afternoon and had a picnic with friends. The girls went for a free swim and bought ice cones and jumped on the blow up castle. I was nabbed by the Town lady who does the programming to run the Canadian trivia contest in which there were six teams of three players. It was a lot of fun as two of the teams were fire fighters.

I asked my friend why the town asks me to do these formal “Canadian” things (remember the pep rally for the winter Olympics) when I have a British accent, she laughed and said that I was the closest thing to the Queen that the town has.

At home resting up now then going back to the town trout pond tonight at 9:00  PM for the same great live bands (mostly Native Americans this year) and watch the fireworks. Our town spends more on fireworks than the city of Red Deer and it is always a great show. THen at midnight my daughter turns 11 and we sing her happy birthday - sometimes the fireworks are still going. :-)

I love Canada Day!

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Joan

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 03:27:30 AM »
Happy Canada Day, Diane!  Did you get my Westie?  I'm never sure with these FB apps whether they've worked or not.

I asked my friend why the town asks me to do these formal “Canadian” things (remember the pep rally for the winter Olympics) when I have a British accent, she laughed and said that I was the closest thing to the Queen that the town has.

Love it!

Do you have a touch of Welsh in there? Just struck me that you may have, seeing as you spent your childhood in Wales.  My accent is definitely still basically Scottish, but apparently I have the odd Aussie inflection now and again.  So I've been told - teased about it once by a Welshman, bloody cheek!

The fire fighters sound good - hope they were fitter than the majority of the ones in our rural fire brigade - great blokes (and gals) that they are.

Wish Happy Birthday to Kate.  You have a wonderful family, Diane, a great credit to you.   :)